General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
2Blazers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default service engine soon light

this might be a long one but please follow me. ill try to keep it short
My 97 blazer left me sit one nite, completely. It didn't even make that weird shutoff noise that seems to come from the back.
My husband thought that it may be the fuel pump. Took it to a friend who owns a junkyard. He got one off of a blazer there. I started to drive home and I couldn't go over 30 mph. Then we took it to a dealer. [:@]
This is what their papers and head service tech. told me:

I needed a new computer. Fine. Spent arm and leg on that. Just to get ready to back into driveway and have the light come back on.
They tow it back.
Then they tell me its the gas cap. Nope.
Then maybe its the fuel tank line. Nope.
Then its the whole tank. Who ever moved it last might have done this....Well duh, they were the last to move it.
Then maybe its the rubber around the top of fuel tank. Nope.
Then maybe its the tank itself. Nope.
Then maybe its fuel tank pressure sensor. Nope
Then we have to do a smoke test to see where its leaking. they said they used a whole bottle of that stuff.

Now after a couple of these checks they would clear the code. and that would work for 1-2 days then the ses light would be back on.

Then we have to do a smoke test to see where its leaking. they said they used a whole bottle of that stuff.

We spent well over $3000.00 dollars trying to get the ses light fixed.
We finally gave up...its was never fixed. But the blazer funs fine. The light still comes on till this very day. Sometimes half a day, or 3 days or 2 weeks. then it goes off for a day, of 5 days....its does what it pleases basically.

Does anyone know of any thing like this???? If so, what could it possibly be????????

Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: service engine soon light

Well, I can't make any recommendations as to what the problem is until I know all of the codes present. If it is an evaporative system code, then there are a lot more than what the dealership supposedly worked on already.

One of which is the vacuum purge solenoid. If the vac purge soleniod is leaking by, the 'smoke' they are using to detect leaks will just get sucked into the engine and disappear.

I can speculate all night long, but without the codes that are present, none of it really helps.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM
2Blazers is an unknown quantity at this point

That's kinda hard because they said and their papers said that there were multiple codes. How to narrow it down to just one seems impossible!!!
I have six pages of all the work that they did and I saw only one code...P0440 Evap Fault?
I took it back so many times just for them to hook it up to the diagnotics machine, tell me they cleared the code from the computer and that it shouldn't come back on. Just to have it appear at my driveway or the next morning. Its a real pain if its on near inspection time....end of this month....
its off now, so that means it will probably be on when I take it in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2122/2FAFE17BBACF40538D4F21DD507EAFF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Next time the light comes on, swing over to your nearest Advanced Auto or Autozone and have them read/reset the codes. They should give you a printout of the codes stored in the PCM. Many times, they will be wrong in the description of the code. Don't rely on them. Once you have the codes, post up with the code(s) present and we'll try to get this figured out for you.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Beginning Member
Walleye is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question on the same topic. Can a bad muffler influence the SES light? Mine comes on preiodically, most often after a gas fill up. So, I'm sure its the gas cap etc....but can a bad muffle make it come on?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
jadewolf32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have a 1998 and was having issues with the SES light going on and off, no power, chugging around and so on mine pulled different codes but it was the EGR valve after I got that replaced along with the fuel pump mine has been fine.