General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: shifting issues

Get a quote from amaco trannsmision. Let me know how much to fix cuase if more than 500 then you might want just to get a whole new one for like 800 with better components.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
paryan is an unknown quantity at this point

find a place that does tranny flushes using BG equipment because you dont need to change the filter or pan gasket and it removes up to 96% of the old fluid as opposed to a tranny service wich takes 75% of the fluid. It really works ive tried it.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:20 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

The upsell theory doesnt hold to much weight with me. The part cost is about 7 or 8 bucks for the filter and the gasket. If you have a normal automatic with no shiftkit and such, things are being caused by foaming. If something as silly as your filter FELL off and sorta hanging around in the pan with a little low fluid this can easily cause foaming. Air into the system along with fluid. How hot is engine getting? On hiway drive? Does it get hotter on the hiway than in traffic? This can be caused by fan clutch. Radiator is used to cool tranny. If it gets hotter on the hiway, this is one way of tracking it down.

Yes, a seperate cooler for tranny is nice. Easy to install for mechanically inclined. Brings us to next question, does yours also cool engine oil at the radiator?

I guess you can call me old and old fashioned. But you wont know what is in that pan and what condition the filter is in till you have the pan removed and the filter changed. This is why there is no drain plug. The factory wanted it looked at. On my 95 Jimmy I had to remove the exhaust from the engine manifolds on both sides to get the pan off. yeah, I didnt believe it either. no fun. Let your local shop change the filter. Fill it with a quality fluid.

Been thinking while posting. Anyone out there had a lockup problem like this because of it not releasing? If it is a lockup not coming unlocked, this can be real interesting because it is both electronic, and uses a vacuum switch in some models. If this is the direction you end up in, better take it to a qualified shop, but it doesnt need a new tranny to fix that. BTW sometimes it can be made to release faster if the brakes are hit a few times rather than just stopping, hit it a few times while stopped.

One more question, will just placing it in nuetral make it go away without waiting? Have you tried?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

MOre questions? SRS light? Didnt know the chevies had gone to using them too. SRS used to stand for SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEM, everything from seatbelt to airbags and sometimes "other" things depending on manufacturer. I believe landrover actually has some brake problems reported here.

What did they tell you they were for? They can be "read". They can report a problem, but it shouldnt be the tranny.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Chevychick is an unknown quantity at this point

YIKES! sorry that was a typo, i meant SES light, as in service engine soon. sorry about the confusion!! wow all this mechanical stuff, where can a girl get a guy to help me with this stuff!? im still learning... they want to charge me upwards of $70 to change the filter. i will try the neutral thing, maybe that will work. its a shame they dont offer autoshop at the university!! i would take it in a heartbeat. the engine temp is alway great, its never been higher than halfway, and only colder when its cold outside (ahh colorado winter!). i have no idea if mine cools engine oil at the radiator. ivannj, what better components could i have in a new tranny?? im really thankful for all your posts, im really trying to figure this thing out!! im also interested in lifting the thing, maybe 3" when i have the money, just looking for a good deal! and of course, making sure i wont have to spend all that money on a new tranny instead....[:-]

Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

B&M Cooler
Here is the cooler I am talking about really easy to install. Get this first to see if it helps. Summitracing.com has the same one cheaper I prefer summit over truckperformance anyday but both very goodsites.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Chevychick is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, ill defo get some! let you know how it works

Old 02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

There is NO need to change a tranny filter. The tranny is a closed system, not open to outside contamination like engine oil. The only thing to plug up or make your tranny filter dirty is tranny parts, specifically clutch material. If your tranny filter is plugged up and having a tranny flush done fixed the problem, it is only a temporary fix. It won't be long before you have a total tranny failure, your tranny is on its last legs. The best preventive maintenance on a tranny is new fluid at least yearly. Install a drain plug, drian the pan and replace those 4 quarts at least once per year. Unless you tow alot, or travel in mountains alot, then every 6 months.

In this case I suspect the problem is in your torque converter, for some reason it is not locking up. Driving on the highway with an unlocked torque converter will generate tons of heat, and heat is the number one killer of trannies. Once your tranny fluid has cooled back down, she is shifting fine again. Adding an auxilary tranny cooler will not fix a broken lock up torque converter. It will only delay the inetavible, failure. You need to take it to a quailified tranny shop and have them do some testing. It could be as simple as a bad brake switch, then again it could be the torque converter itself, or maybe even the solinoid, or wiring. Any number of things will cause the lock up feature to stop working, including a vacuum leak. And a vacuum leak doesn't have anything to do with the tranny, other then the puter uses the vacuum pressure to determine when to lock up the torque converter. It could even be your MAP sensor.