General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shock Question

Old 11-09-2006, 01:42 PM
samurai_24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shock Question

My 2000 Blazer 4WD LT bounces down the interstate. It feels like I'm riding in a boat. I've been told that it's probably the shocks. So, my questions are:

A. Is this true?
B. If it is true, do I just need to change the front shocks, or all 4?
C. What shocks do you guys recommend? I don't tow anything, and do mostly city/hwy driving with the occasional dirt road etc.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Shock Question

Any LT (Light Truck) gas charged shock will work for your situations. Monroe or Gabriel are good brands. No need to go for the Rancho/Edlbrock/Skyjackers if you are not a serious off road demon.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like worn shocks to me, the first thing if you have more than 50000 miles on your current shocks most experts will recommend that they need replaced. However thats not always the case, they can last much longer than that quite often. But if your bouncing like you said you were, then your probably due and you might as well do all 4; its really not difficult at all. I just did my 02' a couple weeks back and I installed Gabriel Max-Control after much reading and debate and I can honestly say they were well worth the money. My truck corners and steers better than it ever has, but there are plenty of other shocks that will do just fine and cost a little less. For instance, a lot of people have been pleased with monro sensa trac, so choose wisely. Also if you don't feel comfortable doing the swap I called the nearby Midas and they wanted 18 per shock to install if you carry in your own shocks....not too bad but still if you have a little wrenching knowledge it can be done in your own garage.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, definitely sounds like worn shocks. I had the same symptoms when I purchased my Bravada. I put Monroe Reflex shocks up front (stiffer than stock replacements) and Monroe SensaTrak with load assist coil over springs in the rear (I carry a lot of tools 300+lbs). If you want the stock ride back, go with the Sensatrak shocks on all 4 corners. They aren't too terribly expensive either and fairly easy to replace in your driveway.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have about 90K on it. I was looking at autozone for parts, would Gabriel Pro Guards be advised? They are $20 each. The next step up are the Gabriel ULTRA for $32.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 PM

I'm sure the pro guards will do just fine, any new shock is going to stop that thing from bouncing which is going to be an improvement already.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM

One more question.... I've got the haynes manual, and it basically says to raise the vehicle, remove the lower shock mounting bolts, collapse the shock, remove the upper bolt, and remove the shock and replace it. Is it really that easy? Don't I have to remove anything from the front end first to access it? What steps do you guys take to change shocks in the front and rear? Is this something I can do in my own garage or do you suggest taking it in to a shop? I'm decent with a wrench, but don't want to end up spending 8 hours changing these.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:09 PM

it is pretty straight-forward. I did remove the front tires to make it a little more accessible, but the rear I didn't remove either one. Its not bad.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as Bin said, I removed the front tires, for better access, but I didn't even jack up the back of the truck. Just left it sitting on the ground. I did the swap in a friends paved driveway. Not bad at all.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Is it safe to reuse the old bolts and nuts? The new shocks didn't come with any.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock Question

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.