General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shock Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Shock Question

one of the simplest jobs ive ever done to the blazer, i also left the rears on, but it does help to take the fronts off for leverage on the top bolt. plus ive keep the same hardware, as long as they dont seem stripped or bent/cracked ur golden. but the rear hardware is standard sizes so u can easily pick them up at any hardware store. would help if u brought the old ones with u for cross reference.

by the way if u plan on jacking up one end at a time; make sure you set your 4wd(if equipped) in 4hi for safety when u do the rear, u dont want it rolling on you.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

The rears are easy, but to do the fronts you'll want to put the front end on jackstands and remove the wheels. It takes strong arms, because as soon as you pull the bolts the shocks will expand - the fronts are "captive" in the area where they fit, so compressing them by hand to get them out calls on your arm muscles.

To get the new shock in, here's a hint: I compressed the shocks beside the car and used a loop of baling wire to hold them in the compressed position. I then put them in place and did my best to start the bolts before cutting and removing the wire. This saved a LOT of grunting and effort on my part.

Watch your fingers!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Better hint. Dont cut the retaining wire the came with until you have the shock in place.

Shocks are pretty wimple and staright forward, especially on teh Blazers. One bolt up top and one on bottom. In back you may find it easier to remove the spare tire. In back two bolts up top and one on bottom. Yes, you reuse all teh bolts.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
samurai_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I got all 4 of them changed last night. The front ones were kind of a hassle to get in, but the rear ones were nice and easy. Thanks for you suggestions about taking off the front tires and the spare. It helped tremendously. And, NO MORE BOUNCE. I can feel the bumps more now, but it feels more like a truck instead of my old 79 caddy.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey now a 79 Caddy was a smooth ride (with a good suspention that is) LOL

I normally replace the bolts with Grade 8's and use anti-seize on them. Not like you pull them off that much, but helps when you do them again.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

good job man!