General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Snapping... like an arc??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snapping... like an arc??

Ok,
Today I was comin' home and the truck started doin' some WHACK stuff as in losing power and doin' kinda a chug and when I romped on it.... sounded like a dead cyl or something then it'd straighten out then chug again... well I stopped at a gas station and listened and didn't hear anything under the hood so proceeded home... didn't really get any better... so I knew I had a tiny leak on the pcv return line where it hooks onto the intake (I just found it the other day and hadn't had a chance to get by and get a new hose) so I did today and replaced it and then cranked the truck up and reved it from under the hood and listened real close and low and behold I heard that infamous *SNAP... SNAP SNAP... SNAP* was spuratic... so I kept givin' it a rev listening and looking for an arc... can't find the damn thing.. wires are prolly 2 months old and I can't see anykind of arc... I'mma go down later after it's REAL dark and try to run it down.... my question is... would a TBI injector give me a snapping sound like a plug wire arcing? If I can't find a bad wire I'mma assume it's the coil and prolly replace it cause I have heard some ignition noise in the stereo every since I bought it...(before and still after I replaced the wires) AND I think someone replaced the coil in this thing at one time because the tip the coil wire goes on is not the little peg... it's the normal sized one like the cap of a spark plug and I know the wires I bought had mini's at both ends of the coil wire..... I know I've heard about injectors snapping... and just wanna know if it's possible that it could be an injector snapping.... I believe mine is a TBI 95 4wd 4.3 Vortec and I don't see a spider or anything) ALSO when I had the plastic "Vortech" cover off the center of the manifold... I heard a sound I THINK was comin' from one of the components on the top... the BEST way I can describe the sound is like an old pc fan that the bearings are going out on... or like a bearing goin' out on a shaft... but it's not any of my pulleys or antying that's not where it was comin' from...... ANY help here would be great..... OH AND.... there's NO Check Engine Lights or anything.. and I had the shop clean the EGR valve just a couple months ago as it clogged and damn truck would BARELY run....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Snapping... like an arc??

Well.... Stop the press... it's nice and dark now... went out there fired it up and looked at the coil... and SURE enough.... damn thing is lightin' up like a xmas tree around the sides.... just glows blue when ya rev it up.... evidently the coil's breakin' down and gets worse under heat and only does a true arc to gnd every so often.. but that's gotta be wtf it is...
Least now I know....:P

Old 09-06-2006, 02:06 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Snapping... like an arc??

I'm glad we were able to help...lol

If I ever suspect a spark is jumping and I can't see it, I use a water bottle (a sprayer set to mist) and I spray around the plug wires.
Makes for a great light show in the dark!