General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
chevy_kalle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default valve cover

Hi!

A quick question, do you need to use new gaskets when you open the valve cover or can you leave the old ones and use RTV sealant? I live in a country where they dont sell too many chevys so the gaskets are a bit tricky to find. Anybody know any good online autostores that ship internationally?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: valve cover

you should be able to re-use the old ones as long as theyre not torn or misshapen. you shouldnt need rtv - just be careful not to overtighten them.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if they come off fine, just clean them up and make sure that they fit into the valve cover properly and reinstall them once you're done workin' on the heads. I use a RTV in the corners on the valve cover to hold the gasket in, but not much more than a small dab. And yeah, overtorquing the covers can result in leaks.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
chevy_kalle is an unknown quantity at this point

will i need a torque metering wrench when i tighten the valve covers or do i just tighten "enough"?

Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

The valve cover bolts are torqued to 9ft lbs or 106 inch lbs, In other words, not too tight. I usually just use a 1/4" drive ratchet and turn till it feels tight. If you over tighten you can distort the valve cover and squash the gasket out of place.
Like kyle said "then you will have a leak".

Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Which valve cover gaskets do you have, cork or rubber. Replace the cork ones, no doubt they will get destroyed when you take the valve cover off. If you have the rubber ones, clean em up and reuse them.

try Summit racing, I think they ship overseas.