General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stalling with dash light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
todds85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stalling with dash light coming on

i've recently been having trouble with stalling & sometimes rough idling at start up.also while driving i have a light come on & off.i'm not sure what the light is since i don't have the owners manual.it's at the top in the center rectangular area.temp. & seatbelt lights are on the left side & the oil & battery on the right side.i'm thinking its the ignition light since it comes on when starting.i know that the carb was replaced & the person i bought it from had it idling high to keep it running last winter.i idled it down over the spring when i bought it & gave it tune-up.sometimes the light comes on when slowing to a stop & then stalls out.if anyone can help me out & let me know what my dashlights are in the center of the dash i would greatly appreciate it.i tried a link to the mygmlink.com site and it only goes back to 93'when i tried to enter my vin# it said it was from a saturn!no luck getting a pdf owners manual!

Old 11-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: stalling with dash light coming on

The light you see coming on and going off is probably saying "check guages". If your truck starts to stall you loose oil pressure and your guage goes below the safe limit, there is a light to tell you to check your guages just in case you don't notice that you have no oil pressure. This is NOT directly related to your stalling problem, just an attention getting reminder light. You may have a leaking Throttle body gasket or just a dirty throttle body valve. Try cleaning it all good with carb cleaner. Run a couple of 1/2 tanks with a bottle of Gumout or STP carb/injector cleaner.

How are your spark plugs? Do you know that all your ignition parts are all good?