General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering box leak

Old 07-17-2006, 01:28 AM
billynjuls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steering box leak

I have a 1990 4WD Blazer. My input shaft seal on the steering box is leaking. I have been told this is a common problem on these vehicles. My question is about the steering shaft. I disconnected the steering shaft from the steering box input shaft, but there is not enough room to get the coupler out of the way. I have a bolt and nut on the shaft up near the firewall. I removed it, but still can't get the shaft to separate. I assume where this bolt came out of the wide looking flange that the flange needs to go towards the steering box? I beat the crap out of it to try and separate it but it didn't budge. Does anyone have any tips to get this off? I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been answered before.

Billy

Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Steering box leak

ORIGINAL: billynjuls

I have a 1990 4WD Blazer. My input shaft seal on the steering box is leaking. I have been told this is a common problem on these vehicles. My question is about the steering shaft. I disconnected the steering shaft from the steering box input shaft, but there is not enough room to get the coupler out of the way. I have a bolt and nut on the shaft up near the firewall. I removed it, but still can't get the shaft to separate. I assume where this bolt came out of the wide looking flange that the flange needs to go towards the steering box? I beat the crap out of it to try and separate it but it didn't budge. Does anyone have any tips to get this off? I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been answered before.

Billy
If you have a full size like mine, it's a one piece intermediate shaft. On mine I loosen the coupling at the steering box input shaft, then remove the 3 bolts from the frame that hold the steering box. Lower the steering box to separate the intermediate shaft from the box.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks for your help. I was thinking about doing that, but was hoping I didn't have to. At least now I know. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

There were two kinds of steering shafts one had a u-joint and snap ring retainers and the other a rag joint, which is what is on my full size, and is probably what you and "chevy lover" have. You do have to drop the box in order to remove the shaft.

A couple of suggestions if you have larger tires or a lift, the stock box, pump, and rag joint shaft fall short of doing their job and don't lasti very long. My pump would squeal every time I turned and the rag joint gave a little over 2" of free play. Neither of which was too desirable off or especially on road. You might want to consider a upgrade in the future. I installed a BORGESON steering shaft w/vibration dampner (what a BIG difference) and I used a AGR steering box and pump.

Just a couple of suggestions that helped me alot and saved me money in the long run.

Stay out of the heat it was 103 when I called it quits on the blazer today.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 AM

I took the steering gear off and got the input shaft seal kit. The kit doesn't fit my steering gear. The steering gear must have been replaced, but the problem is I don't know what it came off of. I know it's a saginaw and the number on the housing is 7802644L and the cover plate is 7812145. Is there a way using these numbers how I can tell what it came off of so I can buy the right seal kit. Thanks for any help.

Billy

Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I believe that there were 2 boxes available in your year...can't remember ..308 and something...anyways, I would phone the GM parts for ID, or your local parts store probably has a cross reference.