General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering horrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:50 AM
billynjuls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steering horrible

I have a 1990 4X4 Blazer and I just changed my steering gear yesterday. The original had been changed by someone else before I bought it so I couldn't find the right seal kit for my leak. There was a little play before I changed it out and it wandered to the right some while driving. Now that I have installed a new one, trying to drive it is terrible (almost undriveable). What would be the first thing to check? I assumed it would get better, but it definitely got worse. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:09 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Steering horrible

I'm not a mechanic....or anywhere close but u could try getting your truck aligned, balancing the tires and checking the wear on the tread as well...my blazer also used to pull to the right but after i had it aligned and put on my new tires it runs perfectly straight....until i break in the new tires anyway

Old 07-22-2006, 05:21 AM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point

what exactly is it doing now?

Old 07-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check for play in the idler arm (passenger side of steering linkage), tie rod ends, and pitman arm (off of the steering box). Replace any worn components and have it realigned. An alignment shop will tell you what things are bad or going bad if you have them do a free estimate and they'll probably point you in the right direction.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: billynjuls

I have a 1990 4X4 Blazer and I just changed my steering gear yesterday. The original had been changed by someone else before I bought it so I couldn't find the right seal kit for my leak. There was a little play before I changed it out and it wandered to the right some while driving. Now that I have installed a new one, . What would be the first thing to check? I assumed it would get better, but it definitely got worse. Thanks for any help.
The "wandering" to the right could be an alignment or tire problem. This problem would not change with a steering gear. You could try swapping your front tires, side to side. If that changes things, like now it "wanders" to the left, it's tires. If there's no change, it's an alignment problem.
The best place to start was suggested by swartlkk, when he said take it to an alignment shop for a free estimate. They would check for worn parts.

There is an adjustment to tighten the steering box, but I don't want to tell you to do that until I better understand the problem. Can you be specific about " trying to drive it is terrible (almost undriveable)"

Trying to drive my truck used to be terrible also, til I got a divorce...lol.
Had to add a little bad humor.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:17 AM
billynjuls is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with it right now is I can turn the steering wheel from 10 to 2 and the tires don't move at all. When I'm driving down the highway and going around a corner I have to start turning the wheel well before the turn so the slop is out and it actually starts to turn and I don' have to jerk it at the last minute. My arm is constantly going to the left and right on the wheel to try and keep it in the middle of the road. It's even worse when I'm pulling my boat. It gets pretty scary when I'm doing 70 mph and there's that much play in the steering. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

did you put in a used steering box?

It's obviously a lot looser than the box with the leaking seal.

To remove the slack, you need to adjust the pitman shaft lash. On the top of the steering gear there is a cover held on with 4 bolts. In the center there is a locknut on a threaded bolt ( the bolt that an allen key fits into)
Make sure that your wheels are in the straight ahead position. Put an allen key in the bolt and loosen the locknut. Turn the allen key clockwise about a half a turn and recheck the slop in your steering wheel. It should be less now. Keep adjusting it until you have about 2" of play in the steering wheel. It should be a lot better and safer now.
Don't take out all the play. If you do you have the box to tight and it will wear out quickly and might get stuck at the *high point* of the gear.
*(steering wheel straight, driving in a straight line)*