General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swaybar

Ok, Yesterday I was up under this thing replacing my gear oils and my xfer case fluid. When I was under the frontend I noticed where the anti-sway bar bolts up to both sides on the driver's side it doesn't look like the bolt is drawn up enough ie. pushing down on those bushings enough. Does anyone happen to have a pic that I could look at that shows about how much they should be compressed by the bolt. I don't wanna to too much as it may crush the damn thing... and I AM gettin' some swaying... but I'm not sure if that's because I need to tighten up that jamb bolt and adjust that steering gear slop. (That's today when I get to do the brakes. Got side tracked yesterday puttin' in a new stereo)....

Old 08-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Nations81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Swaybar

Just replaced the links myself. If you have the haynes manual I would tighten them to te torque specs in the book. I am not sure cause I cant find my book. it is probably in inch pounds. There sould be four bushings on each side so if there is one missing the bolt won't be seated right. I put new links in and wound up striping the bolt and nut because I got to the end up the threads and continued to tighten. That really sucked. If the bushings are missing or are old and worn I would just replace them anyway. I bought each set for $9.00 at autozone.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Swaybar

they should just be snug, you dont have to crank down on them or compress them or anything.

i'm not sure about the stockers but the aftermarket ones have the correct length on the bolt threads so you can just tighten them until the nut bottoms out and youre good.