General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tranny? cracked hose? or what!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Dizgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tranny? cracked hose? or what!?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]
First I'd like to say that I'm new to this forum, and it looks like I've found a really nice place. Now for my problem.... It started on the highway, I was going about 55mph with cruise control on, and all-of-a-sudden I felt a violent SHAKE! and a sound kinda' like a bit of a dead-rev.... "ok" I thought, "no big deal, just some odd fluke". However, the next day, after I had been driving for maybe a good 15 or 20 minutes, the ol' blazer felt like she didn't want to shift. The best way I can describe it, is it feels I'm like riding shotgun with somebody who doesn't know how to drive stick (never good from an automatic). After a few days of babying the accelerator when it would go to shift (so I could get to work), I realized that the symptoms were changing, now not only are the shifts unstable and take allot of "chugging" to get through, but take offs from a dead stop arn't going to when either (massive bog).

So there I was, coming home from the gas station pulling into my driveway, and STALL! turn the key and she started right back up, I pull up the rest of the way and STALL! again!! turn the key, and all I hear is starter and spark plugs. won't start. won't even try. The next day I'm explaining the problem to a buddy of mine (he has a '00 4X4 blazer, and used to have a '89 4X4 S10 blazer) and i decided to show him that it wouldn't start, and what does it do?.... fires up like a DREAM! I decided to drive it around a bit and get it to stall out, and it did; after about 15 minutes of driving. I let it sit for about half an hour and it started right up again.

I really don't think it's tranny, and before I do anything serrious to it i would like some oppinions/ideas/shared experience (maybe). I plan on eliminating any "stupid" possibillities, (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter) also: Air filter is two weeks old with no dirt in the air filter assembly, and all my hoses look pretty good, but I'm not sure that I located all of them.

I would really appricieate any help I can get as soon as possible. I have to get the blazer running so I can sell my Mazda (how I get to work now) so I can pay bills!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: tranny? cracked hose? or what!?

Lets start with the simple stuff first.
Got oil?
Got tranny fluid? Know how to check it?
Got any leaks?
How old is the battery?
Got any trouble codes? Have it checked anyway!!!!
Still have reverse?

Post up what you find out.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Oil's good.
Tranny fluid is full, but somewhat foamy (no idea what this means).
doesn't seem to be leaking anything no idea on the battery (got the truck four months ago)
check engine light's been on since I bought the truck. (do i have to do a dealership to find out about codes?)
Reverse still works fine

4X4 still works too, hi-and-low

Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Uh oh. Foamy fluid? Not good. I wonder if the radiator went. The tranny cooler sprung a leak and you have a mixture of tranny fluid and engine coolant in both the engine and tranny. If thats the case, a new rad, a coolant flush, tranny flush may be needed. Pressure test the radiator.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:50 PM

Come to think of it, the guy i bought the truck off of said he just had the radiator replaced......
How do I pressure test the radiator?

ALSO! I found a very slow drip comming from..... well i'm not sure what it is to be honest (my Hayne's doesn't seem to know either) from grill to bumper it goes, front diff. Oil pan, this thing, transmission pan.
It looks like there should be a drain plug where the fluid (seems like oil) is dripping from. It appears to be threaded, and beveled out a little.... like the drain plug on the oil pan.

[sm=hail.gif]I would also just like to say thanks guys, I appreceiate y'all trying to hep me out with this headache.[sm=hail.gif]

Old 03-21-2006, 12:15 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

How do I pressure test the radiator?
You can "rent" one from most auto parts stores. Get the "o" ring at the end of the gauge wet to help insure a proper seal. You remove the rad cap and install the gauge on th radiator. Pump like crazy until it reads 16lbs. If, it gets there.

Test when it's cold too. If the gauge holds at 16lbs for more than a few minutes, the radiator passes. Test the rad cap w/ an atttachment connected to the gauge.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:16 PM

You can "rent" one from most auto parts stores. Get the "o" ring at the end of the gauge wet to help insure a proper seal. You remove the rad cap and install the gauge on th radiator. Pump like crazy until it reads 16lbs. If, it gets there.

Test when it's cold too. If the gauge holds at 16lbs for more than a few minutes, the radiator passes. Test the rad cap w/ an atttachment connected to the gauge.
cool, thanks allot. I'll have to check that out. good thing i'm off for the next three days!

Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

While your at autozone, get them to check the codes.

Not understanding your discription of the leak area?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:44 PM

While your at autozone, get them to check the codes.
it's a '92, can they still check codes on that? i thought it was '98+ thing...
Not understanding your discription of the leak area?
I'll have to find someone with a digital camera, and take pictures

Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 PM

OK! I swapped out the radiator, flushed the cooling system (through rad.) drained and replaced tranny fluid.... and the problem is STILL THERE!! any ideas?