General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

underbody coat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 AM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default underbody coat?

hey what do u guys think about undercoating cars my truck is a 2001 and sadly has some spot rust on the frame surface rust i guess u could say wolsd i still be able to under coat it to protect it from the salty minnesota winters and maybe just sand off the rust i want to protect it and my g/f just got her new RX-8 and she got hers done with rhino lining is it just me or is that weird just wondering what u guys think let me know ur opinions and what u think the cost would be....by the way my friends 67 mustang is gunna get undercoated 2

Old 03-06-2006, 03:53 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: underbody coat?

I had my first Blazer undercoated. It was an oil base stuff and it was about $99.00 and a 2 hour wait. They basically steam clean the undercarriage and let it dry. Then applied this oil sh*t to it. I was installing door speakers at the time so I left the door covers off and they coated the inside of the doors. It smelled of oil for weeks! It dripped and left stains everywhere I parked. I parked on the grass for awhile. Anither place that applies a silicone based undercoat. I went with the former because IMO the oil pentrates better into tight spots.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a problem. Rust is already in existence. If you are going to operate in theory mode, then rust will continue unless treated first. In other words, a simple steam clean will not get it out of there. Job is best done when new vehicle. So here come the choices. Do it and it will help somewhat. May slow down and hide rust and let it keep growing, yet if you intend to trade vehicle a few years down the road, its fine.

If on the other hand, you wish to keep vehicle indefinitely , I would pressure wash and steel brush the rust off, sand it down as best as possible. Then get in there with rust retardent primer. Spraying it is best cause its gets to the smaller passages and cracks under there. Do as much as you can and in stages you can complete the job in a couple of weekends. Finish it with a black or dark grey paint that also stops rust and you wont need undercoat.

One other advantage of undercoat is the sound deadening quality, but over rust or over paint it doesnt do well. New vehicles need to be done immediately. Factory undercoat is possibly the best. (do they still do it??)

Another great thing to do in the wintery north is to make triply sure the actual drain holes are open, clear and working. Rather than being CLOGGED. When it rains, there are many holes in the body to make sure that water runs THROUGH the insides. Yes, the doors and any other double exterior panels have ways for water to get out. Even the light lenses do. These have to kept clear. You would not believe what gets in there and clogs these things. Wasp nests, leaves, just plain dirt. If salt dirt gets into this in the winter, you'll have rocker panel, door, problem in a year or two. Every spring a high pressure hose should be used right away, at first opportunity and when washing in summer and fall, besure to get underneath , its probably more important that the fancy skin?? Just kidding of course, but the underneath is what really never gets attention.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM

yea i hear ya on that it never gets attention thats why i wanted to see what they can do about it ill do my best to pressure wash it and sand some of the rust off i wish it would have been done right away im going to do it on the next vehicle i buy (if its brand new) because i really want to drive my cars for awhile and keep them in good shape....thanks for ur opinions and info on this matter

Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
gstclair83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
I have a 2000 LT. I noticed some rust spots on the underbody, and I really didn't want to deal with the dripping oil, and other problems associated with undercoating. I had a rust module installed on my truck. It's just a little box that connects to your battery, and sends a constant pulse of electricity through anything metal on the vehicle. Apparently, a charged piece of steel wont rust. It works great. Ant spots that I had before have not grown, and I have no new spots anywhere. Best of all, this module is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. Check it out. I live in Ontario, so I know all about the salt and water that we deal with up north here.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 AM

really is that true im not saying its not but wow thats really interesting

Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'd be interested in that, living in Ontario and all...

Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My Bravada had one of these units (well half of one) on it when I purchased it. No rust on any sheetmetal and it has spent its entire life in Upstate NY. I pulled it off because it was no longer functioning, rather it was falling off on its own.

My dad also got one installed on his '05 Silverado 2500HD. I believe it is called a rust inhibitor, but I wasn't able to find any other information about it... I'd have to give the dealership a call and see how much and what they really were called.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of those things before. They sound great, although I don't know anybody who every had one.

Undercoating is great, however it has drawn backs like mentioned. Sealing in the rust might do more damage tehn leaving it exposed.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

In other words, a simple steam clean will not get it out of there

You're right about that. I think I'm missing a few steps to what they did. It's been 11 years now since I last had it done.

Quick Reply: underbody coat?