General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Utility-fying a Bravada

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 AM
poweruser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utility-fying a Bravada

Hello there,

Currently, I'm driving a '98 Bravada. Its served me well. However, in the next year or so I will be moving out to a remote area of Montana. I will need a vehicle than can do some decent off road work, as well as tow. Originally, I was thinking of selling the truck I have and picking up a used Chevy pickup, but I realized that I will get next to nothing for my truck, should I sell it. After doing some research, I found that it may be possible to jazz up my Bravada so it will fit the role I intend for it. For the cost of "giving away" my truck and buying a used pickup in good, dependable shape (~$10,000), I could thoroughly outfit what I have.

First off, I want to completely update/refurbish everything that needs it. If there are any "weak links" in this design, let me know so I can get them in proper shape. For referance, this truck is pushing 130,000.

Next up, I want to do a complete revamp on the drivetrain. I was considering several options, and am not sure the exact direction I want to go. Regarding the engine, I'm def. going to pull it and refresh it to new standards. I want to squeeze as much power as possible out of it while still remaining reliable/dependable (there are no paved roads where I'll be, let alone roadside assistance). I know there are supercharging kits out there and the like, and I dont mind dropping a few G's on one. However, I want to make sure the engine will be reliable and not crap on me. I will be getting a new, performance oriented transmission to compliment it.

My next concern lies with the Smartrak AWD system. Can it handel the added power? How complicated/costly would it be to convert the Bravada to "real" 4x4, as that will be more useful to me where I'm going. Can real 4x4 handel the added power as well or better than the stock AWD?

I'll have a decent amout of time to do this work (a year give or take), and the funds to do it. My goals, following in order of importance, are to make a backcountry [reads "off road"] truck that is (1) dependable, (2) powerful for towing and the like, and (3) fun to drive.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: V-8 Conversion, AWD, etc.

Not to discourage you, but you may be looking at $3k-$7k to get a V8 in there. Also, the front CV joints won't like you for the added torque you introduced. (if you kept the IFS.)

I was also wondering if a Blazer front bumper would bolt onto the Bravada, as I've smashed mine up a bit after hitting a deer.
You can install a Blazer front end. You can even install a Sonoma F E clip too (1998) and up. I know what it's like hitting a deer with an S-10. Plastic shatters everywhere.

I'm guessing you'll be in the snow too. I would install a lunchbox locker if more than 50% driving is done on unpaved roads. IMO If you need the V8 power, a Tahoe or something may suffice. I dunno.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 AM
poweruser is an unknown quantity at this point

4lowlife, thanks for the input. I'm just doing some preliminary research into what I plan to do...whether to get a new truck or keep this one. The only thing preventing me from selling this truck and picking up a heavier one is the fact that I would get practically nothing. Although I can afford to "give it away," there is something in me that would cringe at letting this thing go for 2 or 3 grand.

In other news, the V-8 thing is passing through my mind, but it would probably be easier and cheaper to rebuild and push the current engine, as there is nothing wrong with it as it stands. I really don't need big truck power, what I do need is traction and every pound of the Bravada's 5000 tow rating. As I outlined above, I just need reliablity, first and foremost. This truck, as it is, would probably fit my niche okay. However, I can't go out into the woods and risk the chance of this thing crapping out on me. So, I'm either going to rebuild it to better than stock standards or buy a newer, bigger truck. As I have some time on my hands, and being that I just finished a restoration on another car, I think this would be pretty fun and worthwhile.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

there is something in me that would cringe at letting this thing go for 2 or 3 grand.
I hear ya. If you decide to let it go, you can opt to have Amvets take it from you. No cash will be received. However, they present a recepit of donation (usually blue book) and you may make out during you're next tax return. A friend ditched his T bird that way. It was his only write off.

I think this would be pretty fun and worthwhile.
Good for you man. There is no satisfaction like doing something yourself and enjoying the results. Happy motoring.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's some information about your drivetrain that you may want to consider.

#1 - The front axle is no different from any other s-series blazer '96+ (and probably earlier). MANY s-series vehicles have been converted and still used the stock tranny, t-case, and axles.
#2 - The AWD transfer case can handle some serious abuse. I'm pretty sure it is just a few iterations newer than the t-case used in the AWD typhoons & Syclones (turbo 4.3L) which had some phenomenal torque and hp numbers.

Now, with that said, the one down side of the t-case is that it is a single speed transfer case. For some serious offroading or pulling on something, you'll probably want a low gear to crawl around with. The AWD t-case won't give you that.

I have been considering dropping in a CSFI 350 w/ engine harness & computer for a little while now. I can pick up the whole sh-bang for alittle over $1500. Would need new motor mounts, possibly a larger radiator, and an electric fan to gain more clearance, but it looks do-able. You wouldn't want to go crazy with performance options on the engine because you could very easily push the rest of the drivetrain past its breaking point. I'd just love to have the power with all of the luxury features in my Bravada!

Good luck and keep us posted.