General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what is the best transmission cooler..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is the best transmission cooler..

I looking to buy a transmission cooler and would like some of your feedback. Which one do you think is the best.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
89Blazze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what is the best transmission cooler..

B & M is my choice works great for my other vehicals also.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hayden is the off-branded B&M for cheaper. A stacked plate design is more rugged than the tube with fins and it is only slightly less efficient.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... This is the fitting kit that you need:
AutoZone - Hayden fitting kit - 240390
Advanced Auto - Imperial/Hayden Fitting Kit - 240390

I'm not sure if it's available from other stores. I bought that and the Hayden Imperial Maxi-Cool 7-3/4"x11"x3/4"thick stacked plate cooler - Hayden Maxi-Cool XL - 243007.

I bought it from Advanced Auto, but they did not carry the fitting kit. Here's the link to advanced auto's website - Advanced Auto - Hayden Maxi-Cool XL - 243007

Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought the:
Brand: FLEX-A-LITE
Description: 20,000 GVW, Heavy Duty 6-Pass Rail Cooler - 3/8-inch ****** Fitting
Will I need anything else with this. Check it out @ truckperformance.com. This is where I orded it from. I hope to get them by saturday to install them by sunday.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Good luck finding a place to mount that thing... I went with a 7-1/2"x11" for a reason... There wasn't enough room for hoses and the cooler in front of the radiator. The 7-1/2"x11" was just the right size. Also, you can have too much cooling. If you aren't towing frequently and/or living in the mountains, that GVW rating is way too high.

This is exactly what I've got even though I purchased it locally and under a non-brand name, B&M SuperCooler 7-1/2"x11"x3/4" Stacked Plate Cooler.

Oh and I would bet that you would still need the fitting kit unless you wanted to cut your transmission lines like the instructions suggest.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the stacked plate design myself. I also don't mind cutting the factory line to connect the rubber hoses. Use a pipe cutter instead of a hacksaw though. A hacksaw will leave little metal filings in the line, while a pipe cutter leaves clean ends.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Its not that I mind cutting a factory line, but I'd rather be able to cleanly undo any modification that I do to a vehicle. Definitely use a pipe cutter to cut the line!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Its not that I mind cutting a factory line, but I'd rather be able to cleanly undo any modification that I do to a vehicle.
Hahahaha, I never return them to original condition. I drive em till they die or the wife makes me trade it in. She has this image thing to maintian. Me, I could care less what it looks like, as long as it is mechanically sound.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Very true. I'd like to drive 'em until they die, but many times it's the little annoyances that finally get to me and force me to get rid of it. Electrical gremlins are the worst and hardest thing to figure out. That's the primary reason why I got rid of my old '94 Intrepid. I loved the car, but it was starting to degrade (electrically) and while the car still looked good, I dumped it!

Quick Reply: what is the best transmission cooler..