General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what AT filter use

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Starting Member
Marcin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what AT filter use

Hi again

20Blazer00 could you check for me how many screws is used to mount you transmission pan? They told me thay for deep pan should be 17 screws and for shallow pan only 16 screws.

Regards, Marcin

Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

whatever kit you get, do not use fram, use delco or wix, they are the best and are worth the extra $$$.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a different view on this.

Dont waste your time or money replacing the filter.
The only thing it filters is tranny debris, and if the debris is enough to plug up the filter, you got issues a new filter wont fix. Time for a rebuild.

The only important thing is to replace 4-5 quarts of the tranny fluid. No need to drop the tranny pan for that.

Disconnect your upper tranny cooler line from the radiator. Attach a new fitting to the radiator, slide a hose over that fitting and run that hose into a bucket.

Attach a new fitting to the cooler line, slide a hose over that fitting an run it into a bucket full of tranny fluid.

Have an assistant start the truck. Let it idle. At idle the tranny pump will take aobut 5 minutes to cycle all 12 quarts of fluid in your tranny. If the bucket holds 14 quarts, by time you have 2 quarts left you should see new fluid coming out of the hose in the other bucket. Turn the engine off, reconnect the cooler line to the radiator, start the truck and check for leaks, shift the tranny through all the gears (with the brakes on). Check fluid level and add as needed. If your below the cross hatched line on the dipstick tube, it will take 1 pint to get to the top of the cross hatched lines on the dipstick tube. Use that as a guide.

Much quicker, and cleaner way to replace all the fluid in your tranny. And a heck of a lot cheaper then the dealer will charge. Once you own the fittings, hose, and buckets, every time you do the flush it will only cost new fluid.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

I have a different view on this.

Dont waste your time or money replacing the filter.
The only thing it filters is tranny debris, and if the debris is enough to plug up the filter, you got issues a new filter wont fix. Time for a rebuild.

Same with an oil filter then, right?
Its the exact same thing, if you get a tear in the media say bye bye to that tranny.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not the same thing. The engine is contaminated with outside depris. Everything from by products of combustion to dirt that makes it through your air filter.

The transmission on the other hand, has none of these influences. About the only thing that can plug up the transmission filter is the transmission parts themselves. Be it clutch material, metal particles, etc.

I once thought that you should change your trans filter every 50k miles, but the act of changing a filter changes the fluid as well. It's the fluid that is important to change as the heat generated by the transmission will break down the fluid over time.

Now, will I drop a trans pan and not replace the filter, no. Even if I drop the pan to add a drain plug, I'll replace the filter. The point is, if you are having troubles with your trans and changing the filter helps, your trans is not long for this world. The point that Tim was making is that if the filter is plugged up with debris, the only place it could have come from is the transmission itself, meaning that if you've lost that much material, there isn't much else holding your trans together.