General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front driveshaft joints going

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front driveshaft joints going

Anybody serviced their front driveshaft joints? Front small u-joint seems easy enough, but what is inside the cone on rear of shaft? Is it another u-joint or CV style joint? When I grab the cone I can move it and it chings when I'm between 15-30MPH. I did both rear driveshaft u-joints myself last year and was almost too easy to believe, everything went exceptionally smooth. Is the front as simple?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Front driveshaft joints going

I don't know what year you have. I can't see agood picture or description fo the rear of the front driveshaft, but it may well be a c/v joint.
Constant Velocity Joint Description
The constant velocity (CV) joint allows the driveline angle adjustment with up and down movement of the vehicle without disturbing the power flow. The CV joint is composed of the following components:

An outer bearing retainer
A flange
A spring
A cap
A circlip
An inner bearing assembly
A wire ring
The inner bearing assembly includes the following components:

A bearing cage
Six ball bearings
An inner race

The front u-joint is very simple.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is just easier to purchase a reman front driveshaft from your favorite autoparts store than to mess around with a CV style joint. Especially if you haven't really messed with one before.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I think it is just easier to purchase a reman front driveshaft from your favorite autoparts store than to mess around with a CV style joint. Especially if you haven't really messed with one before.

I concur. I had to replace mine to pass inspection, I got a set from Advance for about 55-70 bucks each, and 35 of that was a core charge. Id have to double check my reciept to be sure. But I know it wasnt much.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I knew someone would have the answers!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I found you don't need a front driveshaft to pass NYS inspection. I had it done in Sept.

I put the front shaft back in after my recent oil change.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was clicking loudly when 4x4 was engaged, and it didnt have any power to the front. The wheelbearings were shot too. The halfshafts arent expensive but the wheel bearings are a different story. [:@]

Old 10-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Advanced Autoparts shows as 2 ujoints, much the same as rear driveshaft. I bought them and will do it Saturday.