General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is wrong?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:46 AM
Beginning Member
supermancs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is wrong?!?

Ok, today my wife leaves me a voicemail saying the blazer won't start. As soon as I get home from work I take the battery out and take it to Autozone and have them test it and turns out to be fine. So I clean the terminals and start the blazer and it starts right up. I drove it around alittle to let the battery charge. I come home turn off and wait alittle while then try to start it back up no lights come on. I try it again still nothing. So I turned the key and wait alittle while all the lights come up and then turn the key more to start and it starts right up but when I turn the key from off to start it doesn't start up right away. What could be the problem?

Old 06-07-2006, 03:13 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What is wrong?!?

Can you hear the starter selonoid click when you turn the key? It may be the bearings in the starter are binding up when the engine is hot, I've had that happen before and it's tricky to trouble shoot, the guys at autozone or kragen generally won't test it enough times to get the starter good and hot so the bearings will bind. You say the dash lights don't come up though so I'm thinking it may be something before the starter, maybe the key switch has dirty contacts?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like the starter to me as well. I actually Thermowrapped the last starter I put in a car! I havent had the pleasure in the truck yet... lol.

but when its cold it started but heaven forbid you shut it down, until it cooled you wouldnt get that sucker started again!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the lights on the dash are taking some time to come on, it's not the starter causing this. It sounds like the start of a failing ignition switch...

Old 06-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Beginning Member
supermancs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my wife took the car to the shop today and it turned out to be the battery. When I took it to autozone yesterday they just tested it to see if it was good they should have tested it taking a load(running a car). The shop checked the ignition switch, starter, alternator, etc... found nothing else wrong.

Thanks for all your help!

Later,
Mike