General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wires keep melting on the block!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wires keep melting on the block!

So if you have seen my posts in the last few month, you will know that I had a rough idle on my truck that was remedied when I found one of my plug wires had melted when it touched the block. Last week, I had another one do the same thing. I see this as an ongoing issue.

Has anyone else had this happen on an ongoing basis, and if so, what did you do to keep the wires out of the way so that they wouldn't get close to that heat and keep melting? I have the wires zip-tied together so they are tight, but they for some reason keep melting. I am trying to figure out where I can situate them so that they are in a good spot where they won't keep getting damaged.

I am planning on doing a full tune-up within the next two weeks, and I'd like to figure out what to do about this before I replace the plugs & wires.

If you need more specifics, I plan on taking some pics tonight to illustrate the issue better.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Wires keep melting on the block!

the only thing that I can can think of off the top of my head, it try and use the wire seperators that are on the block. they usually keep a good job of keeping wires fromt the block. you can buy replacements at parts stores. other thing is wire loom, might help some.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try some wire loom down around where they are contacting. Generally, the wire loom has a higher melting temp than the wire jacket.

*EDIT* - lol, yeah, that's what I get for leaving the window open without hitting reply for the last 45 minutes! HAHA!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Haha...no problem Swart. Thanks for the input, guys.

The separators, those are standard on all Blazers? I've never had this problem before in other vehicles, so this is new info to me.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should have seperators on. On my '87 I usezip ties and hold the wires up away form the exhaust manifolds. On hte drivers side I tie them off on the brake booster hose.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Ya, I have zip ties on them right now, but the still get melted. I'll try tying them to the brake booster hose like you suggested. My friend said she has some separators in her tool box so if we need them I can have them.