Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AEM air intake follow-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: AEM air intake follow-up

I am thinking about getting a cai, but I am not sure that its worth over 200 bones. Do you think that it was worth it? I already have a k&n drop in, and I saw nothing new with that.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
theonetrueapex is an unknown quantity at this point

Well like I said it was to replace a broken stock air intake. So is it a mod I would have done otherwise? I probably would have waited until I did any exhaust mods. It did give me a subtle mpg gain and is supposed to up it 8-10 hp.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
RedXBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got lucky and found a K&N Gen II FIPK never usedstill in the box for 75 bucks from craigslist. installed it yesterday and it works the same as my last one did off my 00 Xtreme. so i threw away the 40 dollar one off of ebay which did absolutly nothing for me

Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: BlazerSS

That's because it is the same kit! AEM makes Fram's kit for them and uses an AEM dryflow filter. So for those of you who are contemplating purchasing an AEM kit, save yourself some money and just buy the FRAM version. You will see no difference between the two.
I know that... The Fram kit includes the cleaning kit and tools to install the intake system. I have pics of everything. Just do a search for my old thread Xmas in July.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

When you replaced the filter and line did you also need a mass air flow sensor and a throddle body spacer? and When you did the wiring did you change to a higher milimeter grade and higher output coil. im looking to do these to my ls but i want to see what is necessary for immediate fuel economy results and hp gains.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

MAF supports in excess of 350HP without problem.

Throttle body spacer on this motor is not going do much else besides lighten your wallet.

Larger plug wires don't do much else either and a higher output coil... Well, lets just say if you find one that actually puts out more voltage than the stock coil (test it) and is as reliable, be sure to let the rest of us know. The coils that are used on these trucks are already pretty darn hot.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

good to know... thanks for clearing that up. so basically it efficient to replace the stock intake with a fully closed off system such as illustrated in the images above, get some platnum plugs and 8.5 mm wires. i have already changed to a cherry bomb vortex muffler system but should i go with a superflow cat converter? That should cover the bear necessities for exhaust, intake and fuel managment.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

i heard the 8.5 mm wiring allows for a stronger spark... but i would rather hear it from experience. im looking to get better fuel economy and increased hp...

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM

i heard the 8.5 mm wiring allows for a stronger spark... but i would rather hear it from experience. im looking to get better fuel economy and increased hp...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get larger wires for the same price and feel they would work better, go ahead with them. From an electrical standpoint, there isn't much difference between the stock 7mm wires and 8.5mm wires. You will likely see a lower resistance per ft, but in the length of wire you are working with, it really doesn't matter much.

The other aspect that you have to mess with is that the 8.5mm wires will not fit into the stock holders. If you force them, you will damage them. And you really should have them in a holder to maintain proper routing to keep them from being damaged during operation.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Trail Ryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! I just picked up a mint 2001 Blazer LT 4-Door 4X4 with only 29,000 miles on itand joined this forum.

Does anyone know the part number for the Fram "Boost" Air Intake System, as I can't find the part number on Fram's web site.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: AEM air intake follow-up