Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AIRAID vs K&N

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: AIRAID vs K&N

Don't get me wrong, it does change the part throttle response, but I don't like the potential problems that I'm seeing on my spark plugs after running it this way for awhile now. I'll have to snap some pics when I pull my plugs next time for everyone to see. The plugs on the front are showing signs of being rich (fine sooty black colored) and the rears are showing lean (white). This makes sense if most of the EGR gases are being sucked into the front cylinders making for incomplete combustion.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Dont forget the EGR will cancel out any cold air mod attempts. Ya got to get the EGR blocked. Along with the PCM hacked.

I have the K&N FIPK. It just increases audible intake noise. I'ts been on 3 Blazers now! If I could do it again, I would get a True Flow. I put one in my Ranger after I tuned it up.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

Between AirRaid and K&N, I'd defintely get the K&N with the heatshield. It you decide to just add a regular K&N filter, then you should do the airbox mod....

Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Or an ebay intake (20 bucks) with a k&n cone filter.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

Yes it definitely sounds different, you can hear the engine sucking air. Much like flipping the air cleaner lid on an older engine.
I don't know if it changes anything at 5500 rpm's......lol I would never rev my daily driver that high, it's much too important to me to keep the rods IN that engine.....lol And yes it does rev quicker, but I experienced the same result just from adding a K&N filter to my Caprice, that's why I'd just put a filter on if It were me.
So I take it you have the FIPK? Also have you noticed any difference in mpg? Haha - I bet not! I already have the regular K&N filter in the housing.

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

Dont forget the EGR will cancel out any cold air mod attempts. Ya got to get the EGR blocked. Along with the PCM hacked.

I have the K&N FIPK. It just increases audible intake noise. I'ts been on 3 Blazers now! If I could do it again, I would get a True Flow. I put one in my Ranger after I tuned it up.
Im confused? If I do decide to go with the FIPK I have to get my EGR blockers and my PCM hacked?
Also what is a true flow? If you can please elaborate that'd be great! Any links would be appreciated as well.

-Kyle

Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not suggest defeating the EGR system. If you were to block off the EGR valve, the PCM would need to be reprogrammed to ignore the checks that it does to ensure that the EGR valve is working properly.

True Flow is a type of intake filter.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks swartlkk.

What is this open mod box I keep hearing about? Hack up my orginal air filter box?

I think im just gonna go with the FIPK.. See how it goes.

Another thing I am curious about is throttle body spacers.. Curious if they do as they are advertised on the 4.3L.

Anyone have both CIA and TBS, and maybe just TBS and no CIA.. let me know.

Thanks alot, you guys are so much help. And keep the feedback coming, I love to hear about others experiences they have had with everything.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator

If I were you, I'd drill a larger hole in the front of the air box and install a larger tube in place of the stock snorkle. But then again, I have a slightly used K&N cone filter sitting on a shelf in my basement to use in an intake of my own design.

As far as the TBS goes, they tend to work better on engines with a higher torque peak. The 4.3L has great low rpm grunt. The TBS serves to pull your torque peak down lower in the RPM range at the expense of torque up high in the rpm range. With the torque peak already down low with a 4.3L, it really doesn't do a whole lot.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM

What bolt on's or other performance mods would you recommend to get a little more out of my 4.3?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Really depends on how much money you want to spend. You can get a set of headers that will free up some hp. Electric fans can free up some HP, but will increase the drag on the alternator when in use. I'm sure there are others...

Quick Reply: AIRAID vs K&N