Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Bad 02 sensor need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Starting Member
Eff10 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bad 02 sensor need help please!

I have an older post with this issue but my problem has gotten worse. This is a pretty long story but I really need your help! I rely on this car to get me to school everyday and I'm pretty much screwed right now.

For a couple of weeks I've been getting a code 13 on my blazer. It's a 94 vortec. The check engine light only stayed on for seconds at a time so I figured I should get around to replacing the 02 sensor eventually. I just recently (like a month ago) I got a new exhaust system and cat. It was after this that I started getting the code. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not on what caused it to go bad but I'm pretty sure it's the original which would explain a lot.
Just yesterday the car started running TERRIBLY. When I was first getting the code I noticed no difference in performance. But during a drive that took me 45 minutes away from my apartment it started sputtering, running really rough, and it stalled out 3 times. The check engine light was on pretty much the entire time. I could pretty much smell the car wasting gas. I had to drive it back home so I pretty much drove it for over an hour in terrible condition.
This brings me to my first question:

Is it likely that I ruined my brand new cat? I know that driving the car in that condition couldn't have been good for it, but it would be a total bummer if I ruined it.

Then when I got home I went with a friend to buy a new sensor. Before I did anything I checked to see if there were any more codes and got a new one. Code 32. I'm not too sure about it but I know it has something to do with the egr.
Second question: Am I getting this code because the 02 sensor is bad/ is it possible that these two things are connected or am I just REALLY REALLY unlucky?

Either way I decided I should change out the 02 sensor anyway and see what happens. No matter what I did I could not for the life of me get the thing out. I got the socket specifically for the job but once its on there I can't even move the damn thing because there's no room to move the handle. So I got a big wrench and wd40'd the crap out of it but it wouldn't budge. I got the biggest dude I know to have a go at it but to no avail. I even tried to push the wrench with my foot but it moved the truck instead. The nut that's attached to the old sensor is starting to get ruined, and I'm running out of ideas.

Third question:
How in the hell do I get this thing off? I don't have an air chisel so that's not an option.

I'm tempted to bring it to a shop, but I already have the part and I'm pretty low on money. If anyone could help with any of my questions it would save my life. Thanks.

Last edited by Eff10; 09-29-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had to heat my old o2 sensor up with a torch then i put the o2 socket on it and it broke free. for the sputtering problem i would try a new egr valve, te valve malfunctioning can cause similar driveability concerns. also, if your car was running extremley rich for a long time then you could have damaged your cat, i would wait till its time for emissions to find out though.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the response. I gave up and brought it to my guy that always fixes stuff that I can't and they torched it up. I had a small torch but I'm up at school so my jack and stands and every useful tool I have is at home. Got the new 02 sensor on and cleared the codes but the egr code 32 came back. I really hope that I can just clean it for now and get away with it because I'm running out of money. On the threads I read about cleaning the egr I read that I would need a new screen and a new gasket. Can I easily get these things at a parts store?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya they should know what your talking about, although some of them only sell them with the egr valve. you should be able to find them seperatly

Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Starting Member

I have an update and need more help it seems.
As I said above, after replacing the 02 sensor I cleared the codes. After driving it around for a while the truck started running terribly again. The check engine light came on at a stop light and the truck was shaking pretty badly from a really choppy idle. I checked the codes and the code 13 for the 02 sensor was no longer there but the code 32 for the egr had come back.So apparently I did need the o2 sensor but now I'm having egr problems. The check engine light is no longer on it only came on for that brief period at the stop light. There is no more violent shaking but the idle is definitely not normal. Whenever I accelerate the truck bogs down pretty badly. The best way I can explain it is that the exhaust feels like it's coming out in puffs rather than one stream. It's the worst in first gear but runs better the faster I'm going.
Like I've said above I have a brand new exhaust and cat, newer fuel filter, new spider injectors, cap and rotor, and just about anything else that would typically cause problems. I think it's the most logical to assume that the egr needs to be cleaned seeing as the code indicated a problem with it. Are there any other possibilities such as a fuel pump on it's way out, etc., or do these symptoms sound like typical egr problems?

Thanks guys,
Melissa

Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A failing O2 sensor can clog up an EGR valve bad. A clogged EGR valve can cause problems with the O2 sensors. I would clean the EGR valve first and foremost. Also, take a look at your plugs. A malfunctioning O2 sensor can foul plugs fairly quickly as well.