Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Bolt on Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:01 PM
|
ScottECU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bolt on Exhaust

I've been looking at some bolt on Cat back exhaust for my 99 blazer 4x4. How difficult is it to do this in my drive way? I'm pretty handy but do not have very many tools. Is this possible or is it all around better just to take it to a shop and have them set up my exhaust?

Old 05-06-2009 | 07:57 PM
Beginning Member
BlazerGlenn is on a distinguished road

doing a full exhaust is a bitch you need a sawzall to take it out and a mig welder or another type of welder to get it all together

Old 05-06-2009 | 08:00 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

braze it

Old 05-06-2009 | 08:06 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

since nobody makes a bolt on exhaust for a 2nd gen blazer id say ur better off just going to a shop to have everything done.

Old 05-07-2009 | 12:10 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
since nobody makes a bolt on exhaust for a 2nd gen blazer id say ur better off just going to a shop to have everything done.
Lmao, I love hearing all of your responses!!

You could just buy a muffler such as a flowmaster and stick that bad boy on and see if you like it?

Old 05-07-2009 | 02:52 AM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

youtube... "Super 44"

Old 05-07-2009 | 01:54 PM
Beginning Member
tponeill is on a distinguished road
Talking Cat back kit

Dynomax makes a kit which I am installing now. Includes super turbo muffler, bolt on cat pipe, exhaust pipe and hangers for oe locations, only 2 clamps needed.
I bought it at Jegs for about $135 and $75 rebate!, sorry rebate ended on April 30 but this is a breeze to install. I just wish they included the bolts to attach the cat extension pipe but for a new system for the cost of a muffler, I'm ok!

Old 05-07-2009 | 02:05 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

after looking at that kit it looks like you could of just replaced the stock muffler with one of ur choice and it would be the same thing. the 2.5" pipe after the muffler isnt going to make a bit of difference compared to the 2.25" that the stock system has already.

Old 05-08-2009 | 03:41 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Huh? Really? Am I confused?

Are you saying that the exhaust is "one piece" front to rear from OE or just aftermarket?

My exhaust is bolt on.

Attached Thumbnails Bolt on Exhaust-exhaust.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009 | 08:26 AM
Beginning Member
tponeill is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Back means Cat Back!, Bolt On means Bolt On

after looking at that kit it looks like you could of just replaced the stock muffler with one of ur choice and it would be the same thing. the 2.5" pipe after the muffler isnt going to make a bit of difference compared to the 2.25" that the stock system has already.
Some have IM me for the Dynomax part# it is 17748 for the 4 door version.
Rockauto carries it also.

OK the Dynomax muffler is about 12" shorter than oe and the kit includes a short flanged piece of pipe (2 1/2") that bolts to the cat to make up the diff.

I could have done alot of things but not for the $60 I spent. Scotts question was for a bolt on "system". Buying a muffler then having some things fabbed and hangers welded wasn't on his list doing it in the driveway.

I disagree on pipe size:
2 1/4" pipe = 3.97 sq. inch cross section
2 1/2" pipe = 4.9 sq. inch cross section
That is a 25% increasse in flow area. It definitely is not the same thing and I'm sure it would not have come together as easy IMHO.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Exhaust