Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cai ????

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Mdubc is on a distinguished road
Default Cai ????

Has anyone that has made or bought a CAI that ends near the headlight had any issue with the air filter getting wet? I'm looking at making the one that is posted on the forums here and am just wondering if this is the best way to go or just get the drop in K&N for the airbox.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
kennybopaloo is on a distinguished road
Default RE; Cai

i bought the unit 2 months ago for $55 complete.

i did not hookup the long tube to the k&n filters.

my filter is very close to the maf.

i fell no increase in horsepower or torque.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yes I had that problem. for that reason I put my stock air box back in with a drop in k&n filter. There really isn't much of a difference between the stock intake and a cia unless you get the k&n kit with a heat shield, because with the cheap intakes they are sucking in all of the hot air from the engine which actually makes it less efficient than the stock.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to take a holes hot at this since I fabbed up intakes for a multitude of vehicles.

I would say without the box and having the filter located where your stock airbox is would make a positive difference. But with the hot air (as Benny said) it would be so miniscule that the only goodd thing would be the engine sound of the intake itself.

What I would do is:

Mount the CAI

Get some sheet metal. Use a bender to bend it on 90 deg angles (ie make a box.

Tack weld it together

Polish those welds down.

Mount it and drill out mounting holes where airbox is. (May have to make tabs now that I think about it so tack some of those on (easy)

High heat paint, preferably semi gloss black to match hoses, etc.

If you don't have metal fab equipment or a heatshield that is easily aquired. I would recommend a drop in filter (K&N) or the K&N CAI kit itself.

Hope this helps. I know not everyone has a metal shop nor a CNC machine, etc. But there are sheet metal shops who can make the box cheap cheap! and quick.

B

Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

you could always just cut out the front of your stock airbox and drop the cai filter down in the top. that is what I did. however the cai does suck in a lot more water than the stock intake I almost hydrolocked my truck because of it

Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Mdubc is on a distinguished road

I was looking to make the intake with the heat shield but I just have the fear of hydrolocking it with the placement of the open filter. I think I'm just going to go with the drop in K&N. Thanks guys.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

If you go offroading regularlythen just keep the stock airbox. I only do street driving, the joys of 2WD, so I've never come close to having hydrolock issues with my CAI. No noticable HP gain, but I do get better MPGs and the sound is pretty cool. Its almost paid for itself actually.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
you could always just cut out the front of your stock airbox and drop the cai filter down in the top. that is what I did. however the cai does suck in a lot more water than the stock intake I almost hydrolocked my truck because of it
simply removing that stupid snorkle that's rivited to the air box will do wonders!

while i did that to mine, i also opened up the front of the box considerably. haven't had any issues yet, but i also haven't gone through super deep water yet (need to door pins/bushings-big time!).