Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake Troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member
Chevysrule5 is on a distinguished road

Installed the throttle body spacer and got it to fit. it is VERY tight and is pretty much just riding on the bottom of the filter now. it is still too tall to actually mount the pipe properly. so i ordered a K&N filter that is about 2.5 inches shorter than the spectre filter that was with the kit. that should take care of any issues that are still there. made no modifications to my heat shield. thanks for your help

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Not sure I follow this.

So because it was bodylifted a part on the body was up too high and hitting on the filter?

I'm looking to buy a K&N and a 2" BL, so I'm wondering if it works or not...

Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by RangerG
Not sure I follow this.

So because it was bodylifted a part on the body was up too high and hitting on the filter?

I'm looking to buy a K&N and a 2" BL, so I'm wondering if it works or not...
No, this happened to me last week actually. The 2 inch body lift raises the body up and so the engine components sit a little lower. In turn the plenum sits too low for the intake system to fit in the engine bay. I had this happen to me with a Spectre cai and I assume the K&N is very similar. So in order to counteract this, the easiest solution is a throttle body spacer as this created a lift for the plenum and corrects the plenum sitting too low.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

With my home made intake that was made before the BL i didnt have any problems after the BL. i think i might have drilled a new hole in the core support for the heat shield that was a little lower but that rubber pipe for the intake is flexible enough to cover the 2 inches.

Edit: Oh.. Derp. The K&N CAI gets rid of the that rubber pipe. Ok forget what i said lol.. easiest solution is the TB spacer

Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Dang. I was hoping the K&N would be okay because it does sit a bit higher by the looks it. Not really wanting to have to get a TB spacer too.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Well just thinking about it... if you drill a new hole in the core support so the heat shield can sit lower i dont see why there would be a problem. you just might not be able to use that stud that the heat shield also attaches to.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about

The op and I had troubles specifically with the spectre kit. The kit hit the bottom of the body inside the engine bay and still needed another two inches or so to fit. One of the problems with the spectre kit is the filter size. That filter is half the size of the engine bay! Just unnecessarily big. This coupled with a low sitting plenum and you are screwed. So that's why a sshorter filter and throttle body spacer for this kit is needed.

Edit: This has nothing to do with the heat shield. The heat shield fits fine. The problem is the body inside the engine bay.

Last edited by tibby; 07-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Hmm yeah I'm just on the fence because AJ Bert said on the first page that he only had to move the heatshield to make it work with the K&N.