Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Comparing two intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Blazerrrr is on a distinguished road
Default Comparing two intakes

Hey guys my names derek and im new here. I have a 1996 4.3l blazer and im going to buy a cold air intake I just dont know which one. (that is the first thing I should do right?)

The K&N system costs about $300
The Spectre system costs $106

Will there be much of a difference between them and if so what?

I can afford the K&N just fine but if they are gonna do the same exact thing I might as well save that $200 dollar difference and spend it on something else.

Thanks for the help in advance!

PS: the site looks awesome!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

IMO, There both gonna do just about the same thing give or take 1hp. I dont feel 1hp would be worth getting for 200 extra bucks. If its power you want get a pcm tune definatly a bigger difference then a cold air intake, but thats just my 2cents

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LowLife
IMO, There both gonna do just about the same thing give or take 1hp. I dont feel 1hp would be worth getting for 200 extra bucks. If its power you want get a pcm tune definatly a bigger difference then a cold air intake, but thats just my 2cents
agreed.

A 'cold air' will change the 'air curve' which should be corrected with a tune anyway(although very rarely do anyone do that)

IMO a drop in filter is the best bang for your buck. you will mainly only see the minimal hp increase at high rpm's. get rid checking my intake intake temp vs ambient air, I have never seen it get past 10 degree difference with my stock box(except when I get stuck in a traffic jam)

again, that's just my opinion... a good Tune will get you the most(and really the only noticable) performance gain without having to fork out some serious cash.... BUT if you do plan to do any bolt ons(cold air, exaust, etc) due them first so you can utilize them to their full potential with the tune.

a direct answer to your post: personal preference. the k&n heat shield seams a little better built... the injen one looks interesting

Last edited by 69chevelle; 12-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.