Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

convincing dad that i should get cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default convincing dad that i should get cold air intake

ok so i'm looking to get this cai http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohostingand i kinda need my dads permission to get it (long story) so i'm tryin to explain to him why its better than the stock filter. i've given him the basics so far of more hp, torque, and better air flow. but he still doesnt believe its better so i need some help in better explaining it to him and stuff.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: convincing dad that i should get cold air intake

tell ya what, dont get it it looks like a toy or sumtin for a go kart... I have on my 2002 blazer a volant brand! yes they are expensive but they are a closed box style.. Not completely closed of course, but they dont take in as much hot air from the eng compartment like that style does that your looking at.. go on ebay and look up volant see what they have for your year blazer... Good Luck...

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM

aight thanks for the help!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

there are several different types of intakes and tons of brands. if you get an intake that doesnt include an air shield, then you're just buying a hot air intake.

the shield cuts off the airspace around the filter from the engine compartment. engine air=HOT outside air=much cooler than engine.

there area tons of intakes on ebay for uber-cheap but none of them will help unless it comes with a heatshield. you can always make your own heatshield. tripleblackblazer wrote a how-to and made his owncold air intake.

but good luck with your dad. my dad grew up somewhat mechanically inclined but he never wanted to do any work himself and he doesnt think i know anything about cars at all. i didnt need his permission when i bought mine but i respect himand he strongly wanted me to save my money. he told me it was a waste of money considering i already had a k&n drop-in air filter. he said GM designedthe stock air intakewell enough for what i would be using it for. after lots of research, i finally just bought it and after he truly saw, in person, how it was different from the stock one, he realized how there were certain aspects of the stock airway that could be improved upon....

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM

another thought i was talkin to a friend and he suggesed to "swiss cheese" my stock air box i've seen it done before but really what r the benifits to it and is it even worth it?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Same place I got my air intake from (chromeintakes). Course, mine is different cause different year obviously, but do get a heat shield. I got mine off of ebay also. It's a stainless steel heat shield that was like $10 or something.

Also , you could say better gas mileage, that might work lol

Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 PM

aight ya i was thinkin of fabin a heat sheild box. and ya my dad is a mechanic and he just wants me to save money and stuff but hes old skool cuz he had a 69 ss camaro w/ a 427 that he blew up then put in a 396 and he also has a 69 corvette. so ya he just doesnt see y i need/want a cai cuz hes like ok 10-15 hp ur really not gunna notice that and a couple mpgs better not really gunna notice that either he says so he views it as not a good investment. plus hes iffy on the filter cuz he says that since it allows more air flow in it would allow more dirt in than the usual filter. so thats another area i'm tryin to prove to him

Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad basically handed the truck over to me, so he doesn't care what I do now. He just has his little things to say, like, "You're putting all this money into it and it's gonna break down one day", or, "You're gonna wake up the neighbors", refering to the new exhaust I'm gonna buy.
So I've been buying all my stuff without him knowing, then after receiving the package before I do and saying, "Why'd ya waste ya money on this", in the end he usually says, "Hmm, that actually looks pretty good". With the cold air intake he thought it looked good but he doesn't feel the difference I don't think. After taking it to my mechanic to show him the SES light, he seemed pretty impressed and said something like, "Wow yeah look at that, AEM Brute Force". He's also the old school type. Real old school type Italian guy from the Bronx. He has a huge white Escalade with Xenon lights, chrome rims and white wall tires. Big Cadillac logo on the back and reflective Italian sticker with all tinted windows. He's seen my truck more than any other car in that shop, and installed my new rebuilt engine.
Once the intake is in, after that it's pretty much that you bought it, installed it and it's all good.
But that intake doesn't look very trustworty. Stick to the names everyone knows well. K&N and AEM were my 2 options. AEM was too pricey, but eventually I found a great deal. Originally $318 on clearance for $201 + free shipping. Believe me, with a polished chrome intake, when you pop the hood you just stare at it. It's beautiful.
Good luck on convincing your dad, but the first big upgrade people always do is the intake. My friend that I work withjust bought a '95 Pontiac Firebird and after popping my hood in seconds I easily convinced him to put an intake in it. He has to convince his dad too, but it's worth it. Another guy who works with us has a Dodge Ram Sport with a V8 in it and he has the AEM Brute Force just like me. My brother just ordered an intake for his car because after putting mine in he went ahead and bought his own.
10-15 HP isn't much, but atleast it's there.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's really strange how we get dumber the day after our children are born compared to how smart we are before we have kids.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM

ha ya i was lookin around here on the forum and found triple's how to on cai so i'm thinkin of fabin up my own (thus cheaper) and i just have to add the filter. but do the filters actually let more dirt in? like if i just go on some gravel or dirt roads will it affect the intake?

Quick Reply: convincing dad that i should get cold air intake