Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

could i mod this to work on my 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default could i mod this to work on my 4.3

well today i was out at mt grandma's house and found some stuff i had installed on my old 97 Z24..well i was lookin at the air intake i had on the cav and got to thinkin w/ a few cuts i could use it to make a CAI/WAI for my 4.3 and it even still has the air filter on it..what u guys think could i use this to make a 4.3 intake?
and the filter..its got a bit of rust on it but i have a K&N air filter recharge kit i think might help it..what u think
if you guys think this will work plz post the measurments of a 4.3 intake and pics

Attached Thumbnails could i mod this to work on my 4.3-dscn4476.jpg   could i mod this to work on my 4.3-dscn4477.jpg   could i mod this to work on my 4.3-dscn4478.jpg   could i mod this to work on my 4.3-dscn4479.jpg  

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-10-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: RESIZED PICTURES
Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

I'd be leery of that filter. I don't think a K&N recharge kit will fix rust.

Seems like the tubing should work. You'd need to get some silicone connectors from ebay or an auto parts store. Not sure it'd be worth it in the end, but it should work.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TreasonAgainstCaesar
I'd be leery of that filter. I don't think a K&N recharge kit will fix rust.

Seems like the tubing should work. You'd need to get some silicone connectors from ebay or an auto parts store. Not sure it'd be worth it in the end, but it should work.
yeah i kinda figured the filter was shot but i figured i could use the tube to fab up a intake for the 4.3...and hey i got the stuff for free so i figure why not it may not give me much of any increase but eh worth the try lol

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

the thing about cold air intakes, is for them to be really effective it needs to have a shroud that seals it to the hood and around the engine bay. So the closer you can get it to the hole were the stock intake pulls in and then try to build a shroud to seal it to the wheel well. I have yet to see an intake for these blazers that looks like it would work really well but good luck.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

im slowly re-working my 3.5" intake (made for the 4.3 but needed some modification)

that z24 intake would work with a few cuts and a hole drilled for the IAT and obviously a new filter...

the main concern I have noticed is that the wrinkle tube from our stock intake setup needs to go, the box is in a good spot, and if modified correctly it would do the same if not more than a CAI design.... worse comes to worst, cut that pipe down to the size roughly to the wrinke tube, drill a hole (or relocate the IAT) and get a coupler and you have yourself a shielded CAI...with the addition of a nice drop in you would be set.

I ran my intake for 150miles and took it off for 2 reasons, it did get to warm for my liking and my stock modified box on wrinkle tube growls more and flows cooler

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Starting Member

well ran into a lil snag today when i was messin around with my intake idea..i found out that the intake tube i wanted to use was only 2.5" and that box thing in the intake is like 3.5" so that idea was out..well i searched and found a 3" short ram WAI that i had for the Z24 as well..well after a cut and a lil re shaping of aluminum i took the stock air box off and put my lil cob job tube/filter combo on w/ a rubber intake piece that came w/ one of my intakes to see if it is in anyway differant than the stock box.i didnt really modify anything so if i wanna switch back i can just slip the oem box back in place,but i do notice a lil bit of a difference in exhaust tone and a bit more sound from the intake on acceleration w/ my red-necked setup. idk yet just wanted to try it out.

on another note...instant pudding is awsome
>pics<

Last edited by 97Bravada; 05-14-2010 at 01:25 AM.