Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dumped exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road
Default Dumped exhaust?

Call me dumb, but I keep hearing the term "dumped exhaust" on here. Are we talking about turndowns? (At least that's what we call it in my little corner of the world.) If we are talking about the same thing, are you dumping it straight out of the back of the muffler or is a short piece of tailpipe ran and dumped right behind the rearend? Just being curious because I am considering it (unless it creates alot of rumble inside the vehicle).

Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I've always known turndowns under the body to be callled "dumped". And yeah its not ab ad idea, however, angle the turndowns slightly so the sound doesn't resonate undert he body and into the cab.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

I thought it was the same, but at what location is the best to dump it; muffler or farther back? I've never had a set-up like that before, so I was thinking about experimenting.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i've done both on quite a few rides i've done work on.

you don't mention if your truck is 4WD, or a lowered 2WD, but on the dumped rides, i've always just ended the "turn downs" right @ the muffler, turned about 30 to 45 degrees towards the outside of the vehicle, depending on just how low the truck is (more if nice 'n low).

if you just want to "clean up" the look of your exhaust, you can 1 of 2 things. you can cut off the exhaust right after it goes over the axle, or you can just cut the end of the exhaust off a little more flush with the body.

yes, i know what some of you are gonna say something about the exhaust gasses getting caught up in the rear quarter/bumper area, and re-entering the truck, but how much exhaust is gonna get trapped there while you're driving down the road?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM

My truck is a 2000 model, 4WD, 4dr., that is in the process of being mildly lifted. Planning on putting a Flowmaster on!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i went with a slight variation of "dumped". i got my exhaust liquored up a bit, took it out for a night on the town, then told it i wanted to see thiner, louder, slightly shinier exhaust, and left it with it's tears to find it's own way home.... DUMPED!

but seriously, with the friggen skateboard sized OEM muffler hucked in the trash, and a blowmaster super 40 tacked on, i had the tail pipe lopped off as a whole and instead of a traditional dump right there, I opted for a 90 degreee bend off the back side of the muffler so my 8" 'tail pipe' is flush with the body just in front of the rear passenger tire (4dr 4x4 like you) i digs it and it's still considered (by me, so F you if it's not!) dumped...

Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM

Sounds cool... How loud is it inside/outside the truck? Do you still have the cats in line?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i have a new pre-cat and a hi-flow cat.

i must be deaf or something because even with my interior being gutted and re-done with bedliner (less sound protection) i really dont hear that much more to it. It's a throatier deeper sound, BUT it peaks at about 2500 rpms and tapers off.... it sound great at idle and off the line though.

It isn't loud though. I must be spoiled or just not have a very good ear for exhaust.... the guys that were like "i stabbed out my ear drum because my super 40 was KILLER" must have done something i didn't

all of that being said, I would do it all again because stock SUCKED compared ot this.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

i wont do anything besides dumped at the rear axle..

every car iv owned has had this style of exhaust..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFQAo5NzEw

there is a lot of rumble on the inside. it is almost as loud as not having a muffler at all

Quick Reply: Dumped exhaust?