Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust..

Well me and my friend were lookin aorund my exhaust and headers today since it was on a lift...and we noticed how easy it is to replace the headers..so my question is what is the main differenece between shorty and long tube hearders??and also do you think it will sound real nice with 3 inch dual pipes with 40 series mufflers??

Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Exhaust..

You will get more of a low end rumble with one muffler...going dual you will notice you will loose some of that sound. I have looked into this alot.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Exhaust..

3" may be alittle much for stock/mild 350. My 350 (well... 383) breaths through dual 2-1/2" pipes and long tube hooker headers. Long tube headers make for better exhaust scavenging (where the exhaust pulses actually help pull the fumes from the cylinders). If you are going to be redoing the whole system, I would recommend you put in a cross over pipe to even out the flow. An X-pipe will keep the flow moving faster while balancing out the exhaust, but there isn't always room for one with a 4wd vehicle.

The reason why I said 3" may be too much is because you don't want the gases to cool off all that much while in the pipes. If the exhaust cools too much, the volume of the exhaust gases take up decreases and the flow slows down. It is best to under size the exhaust by a bit to keep the flow up than to just all out open it up and reduce the exhaust velocity. This is especially true if your engine doesn't have a hefty top end (ie high reving hp).

If your TBI 350 is stock, I would recommend long tube headers with 1-1/2" or 1-5/8" primary tubes and either 2-1/2" or 3" collectors. For the pipe on back, I would recommend 2-1/4" duals. Dump that through a set of high flow catalytic converters, an x-pipe, and the mufflers of your choice. I think the smaller 1-1/2" primaries will do the engine good, but if you plan on opening up its breathing with a cam or other mods later, go with the 1-5/8" primary headers.

If you really wanted to, you could go with 2-1/2" exhaust tubing, but I don't think the gains would be as much as with the 2-1/4" until you made other modifications to take advantage of the larger pipes. You really need to shift the power band up higher in the RPM range before you can fully utilize those pipes.