Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust is broken i guess?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Beginning Member
metalblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exhaust is broken i guess?

well not really but i was driving today and i noticed that my car's exhuast, i believe, sounded like it was a really loud flowmaster. i own a 1997 4.3L 4WD 2dr and it's never sounded like this before. come to think of it it sounded like it was at a high rpm, i don't know because my car doesn't have an rpm gauge. when i would come to a stop the sound would stop. later though the sound stopped and the car sounded normal. the car didn't behave differently when i heard the loud humming except for the noise. this is the first time it has happened and i hope that my car isn't messed up. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: exhaust is broken i guess?

Without knowing if the sound is just loud exhaust or an over-revving engine or a roaring transmission, it's really hard to offer any advice. If it happens again, try to isolate the sound and note what the engine and/or tranny is doing at that moment.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

well it sounded like a really loud gear change that wouldn't shift but the gears were shifting perfectly. when i would stop and the sound would stop right before the sound would go away it sounded like the engine knocked a little. it has shown no visible signs of damage since the incident and drives fine. the exhaust pipes or muffler i don't know shows some corrosion too if that helps.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - "tach lack" sucks. I have a 96, and I find myself coveting the tachometer in my wife`s truck.

What you need to do is isolate the problem. You still need to give us more information before we can help you with a diagnosis.

Is your Service Engine Soon (SES) light on? If so, then the first thing you need to do is get someone to read the codes from the computer, then come back to the Forum and tell us what codes were listed.

If the SES light is not on, then I have more questions for you. I will wait until you come back with a reply before asking them.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member

no the ses light has not come on. it happened again yesterday except the noise wasn't loud like the first time it did it. the first time it sounded like an airplane lol. i pulled off the side of the road, put the car in park, and i revved the engine a couple of times and it stopped. idk what it is but its pretty odd...

Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if it's the engine fan clutch failing?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member

is that bad? i would think so but how bad

Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
BF Guru

This is a pretty good article to explain about your fan and fan clutch.