Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Has anyone tried the Summit shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone tried the Summit shorty headers

Was looking at a pair of shorty headers from Summit Racing (PN Sum-G9023) and I was wondering if anyone here has used them. Also what is the major difference between a set of headers for a 2wd and a 4wd??? Seems like you can find headers for a 4wd all day long (and cheaply too) as opposed to a 2wd (really hard to find and REALLY expensive)!!! The question is WHY???!!!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Starting Member
hurleyii is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure there the same . I cant figure one reason they wouldn't be knowing the engine bay design.
I just purchased a set of JBA headers from Amazon. I wouldn't do that again cause of Amazon. JBA headers are for the 89-95 and like 02 and up or 03 and up. No EGR valve or air pump if you want to go that route. Only ones I could find without the EGR valve pipe. They are unfinished stainless steel, not sure how impressed i am with the flange for the block to header mount. Downpipe flange is super good quality though. My only complaint is they are 2'' just like factory. Collector is 2.5 or 2.75 though. Engine is not in truck yet so IDK on the mounting and fitting in engine bay. Truck will have a 1/2" body lift when its done. LOL I know but its what I want.

Summit says a body lift will not interfere with their headers, which are made by Pacesetter. Summit also claims no such header exist for a 4wd I had to call Pacesetter for the numbers. So take what they say at what its worth.
Good Luck

Old 03-05-2017, 04:27 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I would wait on the body lift, steering shaft goes through the headers

Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road

When I was working on my 90 1500 pickup, I bought a set of shorty headers from Summit, they were in just black paint (BIG MISTAKE) they fit fine but I had to remove them to have them ceramic coating which cost twice the price of the headers, so buy a set in stainless or ceramic from the get-go. Now they worked in the truck OK, so I bought another set for my 88 K5 Blazer with a 350 ci V8. Now in this situation they didn't at all. so I tried JBL and it was the same story. The fact that the Blazer is 4X4 threw all the fitment rules out the window. On the passengers side is the worst as the distance between the frame and the stock cast iron headers is about 2". I don't know why, but I bought a set of cast iron, which is whats on there now. Now I don't know why the difference, I believe both trucks are the GTM-400, both have the 700/R4 trans and they both have a exact same size engine (The pickup has a 305 V8, and the Blazer has a 350 V8)

Now I searched high and low, and I found a company ' FlowTech' @ sold by summit # 31504FLT. They come in shorty or Block hugger ?

This is the only manufacturer to sell Late 80's exhaust systems. So . . .