Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Header problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:54 AM
|
ghost is on a distinguished road
Default Header problem...

One of my headers is cracked, the other is loose and vibrating. Turns out previous owner only installed one O2 sensor as appose to both for the mufflers. I need new headers, are the plugs angled? I was thinking cheap easy fix would be ebay, any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vehicle info???

Old 05-11-2009 | 04:30 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I mean I know the amount of money you could work with wasent said, but since you need to fix them or possibly replace them why not get a good set of headers and gain some performance and sound if you have the the headers off?

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:21 PM
|

Sry keep forgetting, 89 K5 Blazer. 5.7l V8 I get enough sound from the engine. Performance wise that would be why I am using headers, when it comes down to it in an off road vehicle headers are headers.

Old 05-11-2009 | 11:28 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

That Blazer only came with one oxygen sensor. I would just weld up the crack and tighten up the other side.

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:25 AM
|

Yes sir only came with one sensor. On a normal basis I would probably go that route. But I have to take her through emissions this year. From what I have been told, they will test both pipes and I will fail.

Old 05-12-2009 | 07:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How would you fail if they test both pipes? The only way that I can see that happening is if you have a problem on the other bank of cylinders.

On a TBI motor, the injectors are batch fired so provided that both injectors are flowing an equivalent amount of fuel, both sides of the engine will get the same amount of fuel. You then could have a bank or cylinder specific spark issue (plugs, wires or even cap/rotor) or a cylinder specific compression issue that may affect the results on the non-O2 monitored bank. But, if you pull your plugs and they look very similar in color/condition side to side, you will be fine with the testing. Adding another O2 sensor is not going to fix this as there is nothing in the ECU to facilitate monitoring of two O2 sensors at once.

Old 05-12-2009 | 08:43 AM
|

Interesting, I guess I never thought of it that way. This is all a learning experience for me. So I should be fine as long as all my plugs look identical in color correct?

Old 05-12-2009 | 08:55 AM
Administrator

You should be. That would indicate that you are getting a similar burn on both sides of the engine.

Old 05-31-2009 | 03:21 PM
nashs1988 is on a distinguished road
Default Headers

I have a 1988 K5 TBI 5.7l and i just put headers on it but it runs really rich and rough, brand new o2 sensor and idk whats wrong, please help?

Quick Reply: Header problem...