Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Help With New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Krayziess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help With New Exhaust

So yesterday I put a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 95 Blazer. It has a reallynice tone and I like it, but it's juist not as loud as I want it. I can't really hear it when I'm driving, and I want to, so I'm looking to increase my interior resonance of it. I only put this muffler on, and left the stock tailpipe. I am going to replace the tailpipe whenI have the money because it has a few exhaust leaks, which I think is losing SOME of the sound. I am also going to make the pipe 2 and a half inches instead of the stock and two quarter.

I also have heard of people getting a lot more sound out of their exhaust by putting on hi flow cats. I would like to do this but have heard people around the forum saying that doing so my throw some codes, which I don't want. What is your guys' opionion of putting on hi flow cats?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i had my cat taken out and a piece of pipe welded in to replace it....no problems....much louder/raspier sound..

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your location, the advice above quite likely will be illegal. You might not get caught, but just letting you know.

As far as making your exhaust louder, a tip might possibly help the tone or you could possibly replace the catalytic converter with an aftermarket higher flow model. But again, some places even make it illegal for a shop to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter regardless of the intention to install another.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazinloud
i had my cat taken out and a piece of pipe welded in to replace it....no problems....much louder/raspier sound..
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Depending on your location, the advice above quite likely will be illegal. You might not get caught, but just letting you know.
Yes, there are some modifications that are okay in Canada, Adam, that are in violation of Federal laws here in the US. I agree with Kyle that I would hate for a member down here to get a citation (and they are quite expensive) if the cat were noticed to be missing.

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-08-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM
spedelbrock is an unknown quantity at this point

In New York state the veichle will not pass inspection without the cat on.Also without the cat on I think it would set a code.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Starting Member
97ssblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a magna-flow high flow cat on mine. sometimes it throws a code and others not. P0420, depending on how i drive. i had a flowmaster 40 installed and 2 months later my cat started rattling so i had it changed. much deeper slightly louder tone.