Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How can i patch this exhuast leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about
Default How can i patch this exhuast leak ?

I dont remember how this happened but when i had probelms with the exhuast it was bellow 0 degrees and i never repaired it . the truck sounds great but i think patching it will make it sound better

i was thinking of an other clamp over there but i dont think its gonna work

and i don't wanna weld it

any ideas ?

Here is a picture

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...2/PICT1179.jpg

Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

tisk tisk tisk. Its right before the cat,its gonna get too hot for that exhaust seal glue stuff. Your gonna have to weld it. Do you have emissions there? If not,you know that cat is worth about 100 bucks right? I cut mine off since it was bad,and it paid for exhaust system its self. it'll fix the leak,AND new system. win!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

that is a new system and yea i wasn't gonna try that glue stuff also there very strict for emissions here sadly the truck passes with the leak there but yea lol i might just weld it for the hell of it

Or ill just live with it

IT sounds bad when you 1st start it but when it heats up its like it seals its self

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

OK,how about this,Its a fix and a improvement. scrap the cat,Purchase a magnaflow cat,that way you fix the leak,and help with exhaust flow and stay within regulations of having a cat.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
that is a new system and yea i wasn't gonna try that glue stuff also there very strict for emissions here sadly the truck passes with the leak there but yea lol i might just weld it for the hell of it

Or ill just live with it

IT sounds bad when you 1st start it but when it heats up its like it seals its self
Huh! You know Autozone used to sell ID to OD pieces.. like 'extensions'
Otherwise why not just weld the hole shut.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
BF Guru

Where i moved to auto zone dont exist lol

Ill think of something ill see if advance has a sleeve to seal it

Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
BF Veteran

They have this wrap stuff. You dip this exhaust tape in sealent,then wrap it around the leak. I tried it where the exhaust manifolds connect into the y pipe and it all burned off 4 miles down the road. But since its a little farther back on yours,you could try it? Heck throw some high temp jb weld on it. if it doesnt work drive the truck by a scrap yard,and offer a 12 pack of beer for them to weld it if you dont have a welder. Someone will do it! Its what i do when i need welding fixed. lol

Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
BF Guru

I got a welder im afraid i needa remove it in the future LOL

My welder is to strong also i need to get thinner rods

Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Sometimes welding can do more bad than good. Depending on what you have and how often you use it you could just make that hole bigger.

You might have luck finding a piece of exhaust piping just barely bigger than your current pipe, cut it in half and clamp it over the hole.

Exhaust work is usually a PITA. Sometimes clamps don't come off no matter how much PBlaster you use or how big of a cheat bar you use. When I redid mine I had to saws-all it to hell before I could put my Cherry Bombs on there.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
Sometimes welding can do more bad than good. Depending on what you have and how often you use it you could just make that hole bigger.

You might have luck finding a piece of exhaust piping just barely bigger than your current pipe, cut it in half and clamp it over the hole.

Exhaust work is usually a PITA. Sometimes clamps don't come off no matter how much PBlaster you use or how big of a cheat bar you use. When I redid mine I had to saws-all it to hell before I could put my Cherry Bombs on there.
One of the best tools I ever got was a Makita 4" angle grinder. I don't even remember if I bought it for myself or it was a gift but it's been worth its weight for MANY years on everything from exhaust to actually cutting body metal pieces. And that's just the automotive stuff.

And note I said four inch, not 4 1/2. It's harder to find the wheels for it but the slight difference in size means a lot when working in close quarters.
Power is not an issue if you can't get to it in the first place.

Heck, I save some cutting disks when they are almost gone to use in tight spaces. So obviously the size of the motor itself matters too.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-24-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: How can i patch this exhuast leak ?