Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How many more horses would headers add?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
DavidBoone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many more horses would headers add?

I have considered headers as a way of getting closer to my goal of 300 horsepower. I was thinking around 30-35 hp gain. Whats your opinion? Don't know what kind I will be gettin yet?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How many more horses would headers add?

Headers and a custom, higher flowing y-pipe before the cat (yes, keep the cat) would be a must for any performance buildup.

What else are you considering for your buildup to reach 300hp?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

At least 19 HP. With high flow cat, muffler, combined maybe 31HP. I'm guessing conservatively. HP isn't cheap. Headers 'n exhaust probably cost $1000.00

Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM

Well, I was thinking of the headers, y pipe, and probably twin turbo setup. I think that would get me there pretty fast. All in all probably be better off with a new 350. I am already at 80k miles on this blazer but i guess if it dies it could be rebuilt. Hell, a supercharger or twin turbo is going to cost as much as the 3,600 I paid for it. Of course, I really like the blazer and would like to have it as quick runnin as possible. I have a couple thousand left over from when I sold my car so I would like to get everything at a point where I could just drive and stop thinking about how I could make it better. Also, I have a 4x4 and i really don't know how it will react to a twin turbo as far as driveability.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll want to be careful with any forced induction setup on a Vin W 4.3L that doesn't replace the plastic upper plenum. Too much boost and by-by... Not to mention that the MAP sensor isn't really held in by anything at all (just friction of the rubber o-ring type seal).

Old 06-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Thank you for your response swartlkk. All the info I am finding here at the blazer forum is very, very useful Can I permanently fix the map sensor to anything nearby without any problems. This is all still adding to the question if i should or shouldn't continue with any more major mods. Fiance and I are going to try to buy a house in Feb-March of next year. Gonna try to buy a 2 bedroom,1 1/2 bath townhouse for around $50,000(Hard to do almost anywhere anymore). Thinking more now about just adding here and there till its done. I will get a chip next I guess and maybe it will help some on the shift points and maybe add a few small horses. Never hurts to start slow, except in racing.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:21 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

some new headers on a 350 conversion would add a whole lot.... check out Jags that Run -Click, they sell almost all the parts to do the V8 swap and they manual on how to swap. You can keep the AC, 4x4, it will look almost like stock when completed. The extra room in the engine bay is accomplished by using electric fans on the front of the radiator to push the air through instead of the clutch fan pulling the air through. Best of all...you could do this conversion for around $5K if you search around for your donor engine and computer. If you have lots of funds sitting around you could even do a Corvette/Camaro LS1 swap.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:01 AM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point

not true. you can run the edelbrock TES header/y-pipe system and weld off pcv extention and have headers/y-pipe for $430 and then get a custom exhaust made with borla muffler for $250, then get it tuned for having no cat and make 50whp on the tune.