Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

I need options / suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Fossil Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need options / suggestions

I have an '02 Blazer 4.3 (2Dr/2wd) and the main cat is clogged and the precat is breaking apart.

I need to get this fixed asap.

I researched replacing the whole unit, but it doesn't appear that anyone makes a descent replacement. Magnaflow shows one on their website, but when I called to find one, they told me that particular unit is still in R&D.

Well, my next idea was to just cut in a replacement cat, but then there's the precat breaking off chunks that will more than likely clog the new cat.

Anyone have any suggestions that will work? Keep in mind, the many units out there are for a 4Dr Blazer and will not fit a 2Dr (without modifications).

Which brings me to my next idea... Does anyone know the specifics of the 2Dr vs 4 Dr units so that a 4Dr unit can be modified to fit a 2Dr?

If all it requires is a little shortening of the pipe, then this may be a good solution, but I don't know the lengths of either and honestly, I don't know if the chassis underneath is similar enough for this to even be feasible.

There's also the straight pipe (sans cats) option. How much of a performance hit will I suffer going this route?

Ultimately I would like to go back as close as I can to stock so I don't have any 'puter problems.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

check your emmissions law/standards

right answer: pony up for a new pre-cat and cat.

illegal option: modify in any way.

fastest/cheapest way to just move it from problem to fixed would be to get a hacksaw/sawzall and chop the pre-cat and cat from a jy truck. this will keep you rolling cheap without dropping much cash. it should also buy you some time to track down a good permanent replacement. sucks to drop $ on something temporary, BUT it sucks worse to keep running it and smoke more of you eshaust system imo.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fossil Rock
I researched replacing the whole unit, but it doesn't appear that anyone makes a descent replacement. Magnaflow shows one on their website, but when I called to find one, they told me that particular unit is still in R&D.
don't know what your definition of decent is, but what have you found?

Originally Posted by Fossil Rock

Anyone have any suggestions that will work? Keep in mind, the many units out there are for a 4Dr Blazer and will not fit a 2Dr (without modifications).

Which brings me to my next idea... Does anyone know the specifics of the 2Dr vs 4 Dr units so that a 4Dr unit can be modified to fit a 2Dr?

says who?!!

i priced out a complete y-pipe replacement for a fellow member (zedartwo) and all my parts supplier asked me was, "is it a 2WD or 4WD truck?".

actually, it was more like, "ok. and that's a 4x4, right?" when i told him what it was for.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

If you don't have inspection you can use cheaper highflow cats, Thunderbolt makes cheap highflow cats. I'd get a couple of those and a turbo muffler and swap it on. Even with inspection, you can get away with highflow cats if you put the OEM heatshield over them to look stock.