Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ID intake please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default ID intake please.

New guy with first question. Thanks in advance.

Looking at possibly purchasing a 98 Blazer. The cash is not together yet and the dealership is a little distance from home. Trying to get all the knowledge I can in advance.

Form my limited experience with CAI, I can`t tell without seeing the air box if the set-up in the picture is OEM or AM.

Appreciate any insight.

Attached Thumbnails ID intake please.-tw0644.13.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to be stock.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Starting Member

That was fast. Many thanks.

Guess now the decision of a full CAI or just the hi-flow K&N.

Having read several posts already I`m leaning towards just the filter.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The stock intake works quite well. It is isolated from engine bay heat which is one of the major down falls of most "cold" air intakes. The vast majority of them do not seal the filter from outside air.

One of the most intriguing heat shields for a CAI that I have seen was a Rubbermaid office trash can. Extremely easy to cut to fit the area it is being installed in and quite cheap as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Starting Member

The trash can is installed in place of the OEM airbox? With a replacement cone filter?

Have read about "swishing"(?). Chopping the stock box. As long as the openings are only made to the "cold air" side, is this a reasonable option?

Just an FYI. The Blazer is being set-up as more of an all weather vehicle not all terrain.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator

The problem with swiss-cheese-ing the stock box is you will undoubtedly increase the amount of hot engine bay air that is sucked in. This defeats the purpose.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Starting Member

Guess I just need to make the decision now between look`s or cost.
Thanks for your time and invaluable input.

Have been reading your posts elsewhere. Good stuff.

Off to find the external lighting forum now.