Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 AM
pcvfd12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default intake mods

Are there any inexpensive intake mods that can be done to the factory equipment. I want to get a cold air intake but it may be a while. For the time being I may have to settle for a K&N standard filter and setting up the air box to allow more air in. Has anyone done anything like that? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I just purchased the Blazer a few days ago. I'm ready to start doing a few things to it.

2001 2dr S10 Blazer 4.3L Vortec

Any other mod ideas for the vehicle are welcome too!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
O_P_PLaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: intake mods

go for an exhaust. they're not that expensive. u can get an aftermarket muffler and let ur car breathe a lil easier. i have a magnaflow muffler with a chrome tip. i got mine done for about 160, labor and all. if ur lucky u can talk them done too. u could get pulleys for under 100 bucks too. um...jet performance makes a thermostat thats about 15-20 bucks. all other moods that i know of r more expensive. hope that helps.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:52 PM
postal99blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

if u still have the stock airbox u can make a bigger hole in it where the air hole is at now or u can descreen the mass air

Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: postal99blazer

if u still have the stock airbox u can make a bigger hole in it where the air hole is at now or u can descreen the mass air
Please be aware that removing the screen on a stock MAF sensor can cause more harm than good. Stock MAF sensors are calibrated to be used with the straightening screen installed. This evens out the airflow so that the placement of the sensing elements reads the average. By removing the screen, the flow could be distrubed enough that the MAF reading would not be accurate to a point of damaging other areas in the motor AND transmission.

Also let me say that it has been well documented in the 3800 community that the screen has showed NO measurable decrease/increase in performance installed or uninstalled. Both cases being tested at the track and on a dyno. What was worth noting is an erratic idle and a lean condition that was recorded by the dyno computer. Both issues that were not there on the same vehicle with the screen installed.

Now with a proper cold air intake, a screenless MAF (one designed without a screen) that has a larger throat diameter will obviously flow better. But to ignore the fact that the factory MAF when modified does not equal a properly engineered aftermarket MAF is... Well... You get the point.

This has already gotten more long winded than I intended so I'll leave it be with this. I have had this discussion before and it can be found here:
https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=18780
The link above walks through the intake tract showing the relative CSA (cross-sectional area) of the restrictive components. Have a read through it if you have some time. LOL

Old 07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

for $30 at Autozone you could pick up the Edelbrock 14" air filter that just bolts on and you would remove the box all together. or am i thinking of the older models only? I have a 92 so i dont know about the newer ones.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 PM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point

try something like this for alot cheaper than FIPK or brute force.

http://meticulous-s10.itgo.com/custom3.html

Old 07-08-2006, 04:37 AM

02 Vortech.....thats really cool. I my have to try that!

Old 07-08-2006, 04:38 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! The weekend is finally here and I'll have some time to do a few things with the blazer. I've only had it a week so its about time I got to do a little tinkering!

Old 07-08-2006, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

hey swart what about running an aftermarket MAF with a CAI. would that help any?

Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So long as the aftermarket manufacturer has setup their MAF frequency range in such a way that the stock PCM knows how much air is going through it, you should be set. Then your restriction is in the TB, exhaust, and cam profiles.

Quick Reply: intake mods