Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Just got my blazer not too long ago. lost on what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 PM
DEADBATZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got my blazer not too long ago. lost on what to do.

I'm not sure what to do with my blazer. I was talking to my friend who actually owns a camero, and he was tellin me about exaust and intake and all that. im not too car saavy yet, and I know he doesn't actually own a blazer. so I was hopin you guys could potentially give me a bit of info on what i should do and what to do first, where to go, what to get, how much? all that sort of information. i just want my blazer to sound real nice and get some extra horse at the same time.

I have a 99' 4dr 4x4 blazer with everything stock.

thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Just got my blazer not too long ago. lost on what to do.

well for starters you could go through summit racing for headers and as far as exhaust you can go to a local exhaust place and have them put on a mandrel bent flowmaster set up that will give you a real nice throaty sound also for the headers i would get the jba shorty ceramic coated headers they have better heat exchanging capabilities and will give you a real nice boost backed with the flowmaster set up in horsepower now on to the intake go with a power adder filter with throttle body spacer the filter runs 24.99 and the spacer is 111.00 the spacer i found at desert rat offroad and the filter at autozone as for the exhaust i don't remember what the headers cost but the flowmaster will depend on the shop u go to and how big the pipe u use

Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

throttle body spacers are a waste. get a flowmaster, lift it, get 33" tires and be done.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Scratch the flow, Magnaflow or dynomax. I had a flow on there, i got a fix it ticket got a magna and noticed it was an improvement and not as loud.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 AM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post a clip of your exhaust brettster.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

you can also do an electric fan setup plus a billet pulley kit on it that will give a boost in power as well plus take some of the stress of the motor

Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Crisco is an unknown quantity at this point

Cold Air Intake I paid $200 (K&N FNPK)

Gutted Cat It was like $40

Performance Muffler $80 (Flowmaster Super 40)

Plug the EGR there is a right and wrong to do this look them up

Tune and reprogram ECU most shops charge $75 to tune and it usally takes 3-4 hrs + a dyno run

Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$75 for a tune is down right cheap. Around me, it's $200 for a custom, non-dyno tune and goes up from there for a complete dyno tune which for those modifications, a dyno tune isn't really necessary.

As for the gutting the cat, you won't gain anything over a properly functioning catalytic converter with a gutted cat. The expansion of the exhaust gases entering into where the catalyst used to be will cause the gases to slow down and actually restrict the flow more than if you were to just leave the catalyst in there. Now if you were to eliminate it, that would be best, however, both gutting the cat and removing it are illegal.

The EGR actually helps to reduce detonation by controlling the cylinder temperatures more efficiently than over fueling. Sure, you could increase the AFR and control the cylinder temps that way, but then you would be literally wasting gas and at today's prices, do you want to be doing that?

Muffler will make it sound different, but won't really affect the power output. Most of the back pressure in the system is built up in the exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, and the catalytic converter. By putting on headers, making the y-pipe more flow friendly and using an aftermarket high flow converter, you should see decent gains.

As always, a CAI is only good if you isolate it from engine bay heat. Anything that leaves the filter element open to the heat expelled by the radiator and engine will reduce the effectiveness of the intake.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Crisco is an unknown quantity at this point

Well by gutted cat I meant High Flow cat

It was soposed to be $75 per hour for tune

For me atleast having the High Flow cat and muffler it reduced my engine temp alot and it runs alot smoother

I don't have emissions over here so EGR and Cat is no worry to me

But a Professional tune is always the best thing someone can do to get what they want out of their motor