Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

K&N or AEM???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 AM
djbass_mekanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K&N or AEM???

What Intake Do YOU Think Is Better?? I Am Goin To Get One Of The 2.. Respect To Those W/ Their Stock Or " ebay" Intakes, But I Read Enough Of Them, So Please Dont Post On Them.. Just AEM or K&N...
* i heard that the K&N is better because of the plastic tube.. it absorbs less heat than aluminum or metal intakes, is that true?? thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: K&N or AEM???

I think that they are pretty much about the same. I would go with K&N just because they are more well known. I dont think you would be able to tell a difference either way though.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I installed a K&N because the cleaning kits are easily available. Next time I'm going to try True Flow.

* i heard that the K&N is better because of the plastic tube.. it absorbs less heat than aluminum or metal intakes, is that true?? thanks
It's depends on the setup. My K&N FIPK gets quite warm under the hood on a hot day.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you go to aem website aempower.com they will so the results on the dyno. i called them personally and they guaranteed there's was better than k&n and other manufacures. take it for what you will, but I bought the brute force and noticed a difference in obvious sound and the passing gear.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

The AEM boasts a dyno-proven 4 HP more than the K&N FIPK... Is this just marketing or is the AEM that much better than the FIPK?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't have anything against either of them and am sure that they both will serve you well. Here's my take on the whole thing. The aluminum, having a greater thermal conductivity between the two, will stay cooler to the touch. The problem with that is that it will transmit more heat to the air and the air is effectively cooling it off. Now, does the aluminum intake heat up the air more than a plastic one? Who knows. When you get right down to it, it has to deal with the internal surface area and surface finish to determine how much heat can be transmitted into the air. Just the fact that you are getting away from the accordian tubes and into a smooth walled pipe is a benefit. By switching to silicone couplers and steel/aluminum pipe where the rubber accordian tubes are on the current intake would net gains even with the stock box.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:32 PM

But do you think the AEM actually produces more power than the K&N? I can get the K&N for about 150, but the AEM is about 200... But if it's making 4 HP more than the K&N then it would be worth it...

Does the AEM shield the filter from the heat as well as the K&N does?

Old 02-10-2006, 04:16 AM
djbass_mekanik is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I Think Im Goin With AEM.. But After I Finish My System.. But After Taht I Want To Lower Mine.. U Think I Shud Jus Do Tha Intake Rite Now?? Or Can It Wait??

Old 02-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member
TruckeeT2 is an unknown quantity at this point

K&N!!!!!

Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 PM

I was looking more at both sets and I really think I like the AEM better... They have dry filters (won't mess up mass airflow sensor), as opposed to K&N's oiled filters, plus they claim a higher HP gain (comparing both dynos)...

Quick Reply: K&N or AEM???