Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

looking fo more horse power

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road
Default looking fo more horse power

I have a 98 blazer 4x4 . Ive removed the baffle in the throttle body and the screen in the maf sensor. Ive also put on a k&n cold air intake and high flow magnaflow cat, dynomax muffler....sounds great. Have i missed anything that i can do for a small price?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the first two didn't do anything to help your performance... (I have done the throttle body "mod" and I expand on both of these in other threads so I won't do it here)

The next step I would suggest is a PCM tune (PCMforLess or Wait4Me).

Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 PM

can you give me a link to that thread please

Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one such thread:
Restrictor plate/MAF screen. Removed?
It doesn't get as in depth as I know I have gotten in the past on these subjects, but you get the gist of it. I have also tested stock MAF sensors without the screen before and their readings are MUCH more erratic than the stock screened MAF. And any restriction that may result from the screen being there could not be measured with vacuum gauges on either side of the MAF sensor for either case.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Would the afternarket maf sensor form summit be the best thing?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Focus your attention elsewhere. The MAF sensor is not a limiting factor.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM

one more ? on that the summit maf sensor says it will give 10-15 horse to the rear wheels, ive seen these on the mustangs

Do you think it really would be a bad idea

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-09-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

You won't see that kind of increase from putting on a sensor. It just isn't going to happen. On a highly modified engine where you have a lot higher airflow demands, maybe, but the cam in these engines just isn't tuned to running at high RPM.

Like I said, there are better things to spend your money on, a PCM tune being one of them.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM

What esle would you think might give me more horse power

Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator

That depends on your budget and experience. The next thing would be headers.

After that, cam swap.

Then there is head port & polish. While the heads are off, have screw in studs put in so you can use higher ratio, aftermarket rockers.

A PCM tune should be done to take full advantage of the mods. The cam swap will likely require a PCM tune anyway just to get the truck to run properly without popping codes.

Quick Reply: looking fo more horse power