Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

mufflers and cats

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 AM
lazybum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mufflers and cats

I have a 93 4x4 S10 blazer. Right now it has just a factory pipes, cat and muffler. I was thinking about putting some headers on it, and running duels. I realize I'll have to have 2 cats, and 2 mufflers. Which is where i am kinda lacking info on. I am deaf, but was a late in life thing, and I know the sound I want. The sound I want is a low, DEEP and mellow sound. I have a 4.3l "W" series motor.

Ideas?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: mufflers and cats

Do you have the 2.8L or 4.3L V6? I am assuming its a 4.3TBI. Either way, you dont want to run true duals on these motors, they need some backpressure. If I were you and had benjis, I would go with anice set of headers, no cat (since you are emissions exempt), and a nice Magnaflow muffler with 2.5 or 3" mandrel pipe. And then put the rest of the money into a nice cam and tuneup.

P.S. search button is your best friend. Hundreds of posts on exhaust, etc.

Good Luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How is he emissions exempt???

Anyway, I would go with a set of headers, high flow cat, the muffler of your choice, and probably 2-1/2" pipeing from the y-pipe back through the cat and muffler to the tail pipe.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Dunno about up there, but in NC vehicles more than 10 years old are emissions exempt.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
lazybum is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the 4.3l and fuel injected, has no "carb", is a vortec

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

WOW, I thought federal laws said any car from the factory the came with cats are required to have one. I'll have to check into that on a local level here in Oklahoma

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Anyway, I would go with a set of headers, high flow cat, the muffler of your choice, and probably 2-1/2" pipeing from the y-pipe back through the cat and muffler to the tail pipe.
Thanks for your input, so I take it that magnaflow is the muffler of choice these days? Back when I was younger and had my chevelle SS, we all run Thursh, or Cherry Bombs

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining consecutive posts.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

actually, around here, it seems like flowmaster 40 is the muffler of choice. i have a magnaflow and i love it.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Dunno about up there, but in NC vehicles more than 10 years old are emissions exempt.
While a vehicle may be emissions exempt, that still doesn't mean that running with out a catalytic converter on a vehicle originally equiped with one is any less illegal, it just means that you 'may' not get caught. But believe me, a lot more shops are checking for the presense of a catalytic converter as part of the safety inspection process and many people are getting caught by it.

Federal laws supercede all state and local laws.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 PM
hilljack is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always nock the guts out of the cat and put it back on. i did it on most all vehicles i own. no questions asked when they put it on the lift. It all looks factory, most shops i go to here in NC dont even put it on a lift if its over 10 years old though!