Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Removing Cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removing Cats

Would there be enough back pressure if i removed both cats and put dual flowmasters on my blazer ?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Removing Cats

i think you will be fine, no way you will pass emissions tho, dont know if you plan to drive it on the street or not, but if so it will have to pass emisions.

Think about how many cars run just headers and run fine, hell i ran just headers on my camaro for a while and it ran perfect.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Back pressure is not a good thing on an engine. What is good is proper exhaust sizing to promote exhaust pulse scavenging. I just caution you as to the size of the exhaust you put on. Too large and you will actually have more restriction due to the fact that the exhaust will cool & slow down creating reducing scavenging.

On these 4.3L, most of the restriction is actually in the exhaust manifolds and the y-pipe.

And it is a federal crime to remove the catalytic converter on any vehicle equiped with one. I wrote up a post awhile back with the penaties.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Back pressure is not a good thing on an engine. What is good is proper exhaust sizing to promote exhaust pulse scavenging. I just caution you as to the size of the exhaust you put on. Too large and you will actually have more restriction due to the fact that the exhaust will cool & slow down creating reducing scavenging.

On these 4.3L, most of the restriction is actually in the exhaust manifolds and the y-pipe.

And it is a federal crime to remove the catalytic converter on any vehicle equiped with one. I wrote up a post awhile back with the penaties.

Well that shot down my idea. What about a high flow cat ?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

high flow still technicaly breaks the law but no one will call you on that and you *should* still pass emissions just fine, i did a swap to a high flow cat in my camaro, but my normal cat was WAY broken. i passed emissions just fine afterwards, i live in CO