Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Newb install flowmaster 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Beginning Member
Bullfrog2099 is on a distinguished road
Default Newb install flowmaster 50

Hi, just purchased a flowmaster 50 for a 96 Blazer. Being a newb at buying performance parts, I thought everything was going to come in the box with the flowmaster 50, and all I would have to do is pay someone else to cut the old muffler out and weld or bolt the new one on.

So I guess my question is, what other parts do I need to install just the flowmaster 50? According to flowmaster, I need "flexible rubber mounting hangers" "flat L brackets with rubber insulator donuts". Seen all kinds of different ones, so I don't know which ones. Also do I need to buy a tail pipe or can I use the stock tail pipe on the 96? Being that the stock muffler is twice as long the flowmaster, it seems to me that the pipe would have to be extended some how. Much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

when I got my 40 series I just took it to monroe muffler and they put it on for $80. I believe they have all the necessary parts

Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thats not too bad, but this guy I know has a lift; so I think he'll do it for free or half that. So I want to be prepared.

Slight exaggeration on my part- my stock muffler is 4-5 inches longer then the flowmaster.

I think I'm getting somewhere on how to do this, but still need a little confirmation from anyone who comes across this.

Can I just use my stock exhaust insulator and hanger with my stock muffler strap? Then all I need to do is buy a 2 muffler clamps? Do I need to buy some kind of pipe extender to reach the stock tail pipe?

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-12-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE THREADS
Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to use the existing hangers, etc. and keep the new muffler in the same location as the original, you will need to weld or clamp new tubing sections to reach the new muffler, that's all.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

IMO, you probably could use the existing tailpipe if putting the Flowmaster in the stock location. However, having a muffler shop install it for you will probably be just as cheap as you rounding up all the materials yourself and will save you the headache. I say this because it sounds to me like a short piece of pipe will be needed (cut to proper length and flaired) to compensate for the muffler length difference. I was charged @$40 to have mine welded in.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jdespain
IMO, you probably could use the existing tailpipe if putting the Flowmaster in the stock location. However, having a muffler shop install it for you will probably be just as cheap as you rounding up all the materials yourself and will save you the headache. I say this because it sounds to me like a short piece of pipe will be needed (cut to proper length and flaired) to compensate for the muffler length difference. I was charged @$40 to have mine welded in.
Everything sounds reminiscent to what this guy did on his jeep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NYjR81Z64

Part of me going through the trouble is because someone owes me a favor for building them a custom PC, and I have a K & N cold air intake that I want to install with this muffler- so I want to kill two birds. Especially since he has the equipment to do so. Plus I like to learn how to do it myself anyway. Thanks for the confirmation from you guys.

Another newb question I have, do you need some kind of really expensive tool to flair a pipe, if so can you buy them "pre flaired?" I guess this would be the deciding factor of whether or not I would pay someone else $40 to do it.Thanks all

Originally Posted by rriddle3
If you want to use the existing hangers, etc. and keep the new muffler in the same location as the original, you will need to weld or clamp new tubing sections to reach the new muffler, that's all.
So using the existing hanger (i believe its only two on one side of the muffler) - you dont notice any droning condition in the interior of the vehicle? If not, I'll differently do it that way.

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-13-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

No droning in my interior, anyway. For $40 I'd let somebody else do the work, though, and learn by watching.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

I agree that it would probably be cheaper to take it to a shop rather than buy everything needed for the job, but if your friend owes you a couple of favors...hey...go for it. You can purchase the exhaust pipe with the needed flair, so purchasing a flairing tool isn't required. Besides, unless you're doing exhaust work on a regular basis it will just sit in the bottom of your tool box after the job is done...is it worth the price? I did notice something in the video I wanted to point out. The muffler output should slide inside the extension pipe, and the extension pipe should slide inside the tail pipe. With the extension pipe sliding into the muffler output you create a restriction which disrupts the flow of the exhaust...kinda defeats the purpose of a free flow exhaust system. Another problem is that there's a greater chance of an exhaust leak...especially when the clamp vibrates loose. If your friend has a welder it would be a good idea to have him weld the system rather than using clamps.

Last edited by 01BlackBeauty; 06-24-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Starting Member
gordonjj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
flowmaster No droning in my interior, anyway. For $40 I'd let somebody else do the work, though, and learn by watching.
Right, I agree and fortunately mine drones a lot.

Last edited by gordonjj; 07-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.