Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:46 PM
KTait06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Performance Parts

Alright i have a 97 4D 4WD blazer LT. I have already done stuff to the interior and now im looking to add more horsepower and better gas mileage. I need advice on what kind of combinations of cold air intakes, exhausts, spacers, and power chips would work best for me

Old 11-06-2005, 07:04 AM
blue_green_rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Performance Parts

hmm a few things you could do would be, aftermarket intake (i'd advise volant or K&N), headers, freeflow exhaust (flowmaster 40 sounds great), and for auto's the power programmer III makes it shift way better. theres plenty of stuff you can do its just all depending on how much horsepower you want to add and whats the line to draw between power/gas mileage savings. I have those things on mine along with my programmer and i'm getting about 240hp along with 18mpg city and 24 highway (tested and proven).

Old 01-30-2006, 06:47 PM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

aftermarket intake
headers
flowmaster 40
power programmer III

So you were able to make 240 hp with just those upgrades?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd like to know where that number came from. You can't possibly think that just by adding up the manufacturers claimed hp gain that you could have that.

As far as an intake, if you have the ability (and possibly tools), you can build yourself an equally efficient and MUCH cheaper cold air intake. The most expensive part of any intake should be the filter. The rest can be made out of exhaust tubing. If you buy yourself a single mandrel bent 'U' pipe of the appropriate size and some silicone couplers, you can build an intake for pretty much anything. Then some lexan or aluminum sheet to build a cold air box out of to isolate the filter from heat soaked air that has been pulled through the radiator and you're golden!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

If your looking for good bolt on power you should also check out some underdrive pulleys and an electric fan as well as the stuff mentioned above. Pulleys and an efan will remove some of the drag the engine experiences and free up some horse power. Should help a little with your gas mileage to.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 PM

190 hp base @ crank

aftermarket intake - 10 hp
headers - 10 hp
cat back exhaust with flowmaster muffler - 10 hp
power programmer III - 10 hp
underdrive pulleys - 10 hp
e-fan - 10 hp

== 250 hp @ crank

Realistic?

Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not considering that the 190hp is without accessories other than the waterpump so the underdrive pulleys and efan may bring it back up to somewhere close to 190hp. Mods don't just add, some support, but they VERY rarely straight up add to each other.

Aftermarket intake may be good for 2-5hp realistically, but it all depends on how restrictive the stock intake system is. The 4.3L intake system isn't very restrictive, but can be improved upon. In doing an intake, the MOST important thing is to ensure a good supply of ambient temp air. A cone filter on the end of your MAF sensor will run worse than the stock airbox which pulls air from in front of the radiator, nice cool air.

Although headers AND exhaust may be good for 15-20hp max, they cut down your low end torque at the expense of high end hp. I'd rather be able to get the truck moving because I very rarely see anything over 4,000rpm where you would actually see the net gain of the headers/exhaust.

The power programmer, if tuned properly to support the other mods, should support them very well, but it is programmed for stock engines to get that gain. It won't take full advantage of the mods that are done, but I'll still give you ~10hp gain maybe.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Nope, not considering that the 190hp is without accessories other than the waterpump so the underdrive pulleys and efan may bring it back up to somewhere close to 190hp. Mods don't just add, some support, but they VERY rarely straight up add to each other.

Aftermarket intake may be good for 2-5hp realistically, but it all depends on how restrictive the stock intake system is. The 4.3L intake system isn't very restrictive, but can be improved upon. In doing an intake, the MOST important thing is to ensure a good supply of ambient temp air. A cone filter on the end of your MAF sensor will run worse than the stock airbox which pulls air from in front of the radiator, nice cool air.

Although headers AND exhaust may be good for 15-20hp max, they cut down your low end torque at the expense of high end hp. I'd rather be able to get the truck moving because I very rarely see anything over 4,000rpm where you would actually see the net gain of the headers/exhaust.

The power programmer, if tuned properly to support the other mods, should support them very well, but it is programmed for stock engines to get that gain. It won't take full advantage of the mods that are done, but I'll still give you ~10hp gain maybe.
So what I'm taking from that post means:

1) We don't start with 190 hp at the crank, we start with less, and with the underdrive pulleys and efan you will have the claimed 190 hp
2) You won't make 10 hp at the crank with an aftermarket CAI, but maybe 2-5 hp
3) Headers and exhaust are good for 15-20 hp
4) Power Programmer might fetch around 10 hp

Grand total of 217-225 hp at the crank after all the installs?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Gutmann795 is an unknown quantity at this point

Little off topic: I'm also looking at getting some upgrades, was wondering if anyone (that has done these upgrades) recommend a price quote or estimate. I'd like to know off the bat if its out of my price range or not. Luckliy my roommate works at napa and goes to college for Automotive so he can help me as well. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:35 AM
DankBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think 5 is a stretch for an intake//
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Performance Parts