Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 AM
tnblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Performance Parts

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yeah, I'd like to know where that number came from. You can't possibly think that just by adding up the manufacturers claimed hp gain that you could have that.

As far as an intake, if you have the ability (and possibly tools), you can build yourself an equally efficient and MUCH cheaper cold air intake. The most expensive part of any intake should be the filter. The rest can be made out of exhaust tubing. If you buy yourself a single mandrel bent 'U' pipe of the appropriate size and some silicone couplers, you can build an intake for pretty much anything. Then some lexan or aluminum sheet to build a cold air box out of to isolate the filter from heat soaked air that has been pulled through the radiator and you're golden!
So, from this I gather that while more horsepower would be nice on my 2000 2dr 2WD blazer I would not want to inhibitthe goodtorque of the 4.3 by over-emphasizing on hp. From reading the many posts on this forum, I do wonder if changing our my headers would be a good option. I do want to improve my exhaust and my cat has just recently gone bad and needs to be replaced.
Thus my question is: would doing a good hi-glow cat with a good sounding high-flow muffler (greatly considering the DynoMax Super Turbo) diminish my get-up-and-go torque of the line?I really simply want a better response time to the tranny and better sound as I know that without a supercharger (in my dreams) I am realistically not getting much more HP out of my 4.3 (but I am accepting of that fact now )

Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Performance Parts

I don't think that headers, intake, exhaust will really take away from torque. The only way that could happen is if the new exhaust was to big of a diameter and did not have enough back pressure.An exhaust of around 2.25 in would probably be just fine.