Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Probably going with 3"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
mrshaneb is on a distinguished road
Default Probably going with 3"

Hi guys, I've been looking at Exhaust options and I would like a Dual exhaust, but I don't want it out the back and they can't do it infront of the Back Tires because if the Gas Tank as one pipe would sit to low. So, with that being said I think I'm going to go with a 3" Cat, to 3" piping out the one side in front of one of the Back Tires to a 12" Jones Glasspack.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Doubtful you will see any performance difference between the 3" and stock, but if the price is the same...

Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Starting Member

The cost is about the same. I'm not worried about any Performance gains at this time. The Blazer is pretty stout from the Factory especially with the low end Torque.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

If thats the setup you want i would run it with 2.5" piping though. 3" is big for this size truck

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Starting Member

I think it's already 2.50, 3" is the perfect size for my Rig. It will give it a nice flow and tone. But, like anything it's a matter of preference and opinion.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrshaneb
I think it's already 2.50, 3" is the perfect size for my Rig. It will give it a nice flow and tone. But, like anything it's a matter of preference and opinion.
Its 2.5 to the muffler and then not back to the tailpipe. Alright. I guess let us know how it works out

Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Starting Member

Will do, once it's done I'll get some pictures and hopefully a video of the tone even while under load.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM
nit8690 is on a distinguished road

yeah its 2.5 to the muffler but then drops to 2.25....3 in is a bit over bored. I ahve a 2.5 all the way back with a magnaflow muffler it sounds great. really deep and pretty agressive. a 3 in is overkill but its your choice

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Starting Member
JMH1969 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mrshaneb
Im sorry to be disagreeing with someone being as new as I am however...

This is NOT a matter of preference and opinion. You want a tad bit of back pressure. 2.5" is probably already BIG for what ever it is that you are running. What are you running anyway? Im guessing a 4.3 liter? I would also guess the stock exhaust is 2.25" at best.

I am running a 406 sbc(6.7 liter) and have 2.5" duel exhaust into series 40 mufflers immediately turned down before the rear axle.

All this stuff about 3" pipes is over hyped. Its all part of why some guys buy BIG TRUCKS - to compensate for their lacking in other areas.

Check out this chart!

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

According to this my setup needs 2.5"-3" and unless you happen to have a bigger motor than me, which I doubt, than 2.5" is more than enough for yours. Most people would be better off with a size smaller than they put on their vehicles.

Im not trying to be confrontational.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by JMH1969
Im sorry to be disagreeing with someone being as new as I am however...

This is NOT a matter of preference and opinion. You want a tad bit of back pressure. 2.5" is probably already BIG for what ever it is that you are running. What are you running anyway? Im guessing a 4.3 liter? I would also guess the stock exhaust is 2.25" at best.

I am running a 406 sbc(6.7 liter) and have 2.5" duel exhaust into series 40 mufflers immediately turned down before the rear axle.

All this stuff about 3" pipes is over hyped. Its all part of why some guys buy BIG TRUCKS - to compensate for their lacking in other areas.

Check out this chart!

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

According to this my setup needs 2.5"-3" and unless you happen to have a bigger motor than me, which I doubt, than 2.5" is more than enough for yours. Most people would be better off with a size smaller than they put on their vehicles.

Im not trying to be confrontational.
You dont want a tad bit of backpressure. You want none! You want exhaust velocity/flow

Quick Reply: Probably going with 3"