Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about exhaust

one of my good friends has an 01' silverado with a 327 vortec. He strait piped it and now hasduel exhaustwith no muffler, and it sounds SWEET. not too loud, just right.

Could i get close tothe same sound just strait piping my xtreme? no worry on e check or anything. Sould i keep it single exit or duel??

what do you guys think?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: question about exhaust

Backpressure is a key thing to keep in mind. If you went completely dual exhaust from each header you would be loosing some HP. Now if ya use stock 2.5" piping, delete the muffler and do a y-pipe out the back you will get all the nice looks of a functional dual exhaust but with enough back pressure to keep ya safe. Or if the dual exhaust isnt your thing you can do just a single 2.5" pipe all the way out and get the same result.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

James, one thing to keep in mind is that there is no way a V6 will sound like a V8 with duals. The exhaust pulse from an 8 is different to a 6's and that is what gives an 8 its sweet rumble sound. Some folks might tell you to cut off your catalytic converter, and that is your option, but remember that if you drive the car on the roads in the U.S. it is against Federal law to not have a working cat on your exhaust.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 PM

i wasn't gonna cut off the cat. His cat is not cut off, i forgot to mention that. I just want it to sound nice and throaty and not like a v6. Thats one thing i hate the sound of is a crappy job done on a v6 that sounds like crap. Thats what im trying to avoid and get some opinions on. 4.3 is a pretty big motor so i had it in my mind that it wouldn't sound to bad with a nice exhaust or strait pipe. I think the 4.6l mustangs sound sweet from the factory even though its a v8 its still not that much bigger of a motor.

so basically my question is what can i buy to make the blazer sound sweet and not like crap?/ lol

Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard a 4.3L Silverado straight piped and it sounded much better with a cherry bomb muffler on it (just comparing the straight pipe & cherry bomb).

We've got quite a few members here with Flowmaster mufflers as well as Magnaflow...

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

It's generally hard to get a V6 to sound really good...

It's usually sounding good in the low RPM, or high RPM, but rarely both...

Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 PM

man, i really wanna put an exhaust on this thing though!!!!!!!!! i was thinking about gettin a borla but just scared it will should like crap.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

start searching you tube for exhaust clips, lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

YouTube is a great place to find clips of the exhuast and will give you an idea of what it will sound like. I love Flowmasters :-)

Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

i really like my dynomax. its got a good tone in the low rpms

Quick Reply: question about exhaust