Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Question about straight piping

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:05 AM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about straight piping

Alright, I know there has been some talk about straight piping, which has brought a question to mind.

What is the difference, in any way, between cutting the muffler out, and adding pipe to extend it out, versus just cutting the muffler out, and leaving the pipe to end where it was cut from the muffler?

is it mainly looks, or does extending the pipe out add more backpressure or up the slight performance gain?

Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Question about straight piping

Main problem with adding a turn directly under the vehicle is the possibility of exhaust fumes into the cabin of the vehicle while you drive down the road. I know that, atleast in NY, it is illegal to have exhaust that does not exit beyond the passenger compartment and/or out the sides behind the rear wheels. So for pretty much any SUV, you have to exit behind the rear wheels at or beyond the body (not necessarily the bumper).

SUVs tend to have a large low pressure zone behind them anyhow and I know that the one trip I took to Home Depot that required I leave my rear window open, I had issues with exhaust fumes inside the truck even with all of the side windows and sunroof open.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 AM

so, there is no negative impact of not extending the pipe outwards of the body of the vehicle, just the exhaust possibly leaking into the cabin.

well, it's usually just me, so I might just get a bend and a small pipe and kick it out by the wheel.

thanks for the info swartlkk

Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
postal99blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

mine turns down right below my back seat and ive had seaveral state troopers look at it and theyve never saud anything about it

Old 06-25-2006, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: postal99blazer

mine turns down right below my back seat and ive had seaveral state troopers look at it and theyve never saud anything about it

do you have a problem with the exhaust leaking into the cabin at all?

also, is yours a two or four door?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 AM
postal99blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

no i have not smelled fumes from my blazer yet and i drive it for almost 3hrs striaght cause i deliver mail. its a 4door