Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
xdieselx3032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default straight pipe

Hey everyone i want to do a straight pipe on my 94 jimmy from the headers back but most muffler places i called arent aloud to do it....how can i go about putting straight pipes from the headers back what do i have to do?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: straight pipe

Cut off everything and clamp on what you need...

I don't know what you are hoping to get except for a very loud exhaust...

Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 PM

yes that what i want loud.. lol..not to be a pian but what do i need to cut off and what do i need and where do i start cuttin. Is it true that i have to run a glass pack to run straight pipes

Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not knowing your location I can state the following... It is against federal law in the United States to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter. It is also against US federal law to not have a functioning catalytic converter on a registered vehicle that originally came equiped with one from the manufacturer. I will also mention that if you live in the US, certain states require a functioning catalytic converter on all vehicles originally equiped with one and some states even do tail pipe emissions testing.

And straight pipes are straight pipes... Nothing between the engine and the exhaust tip (except for the cat if you want to stay legal). A glass pack will mellow out the raspy-ness of the exhaust.

Where you start cutting is up to you.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM

i understand i live in new york but i no some 1 that will pass me for straight pipes.well obviously i would have to take out the muffler and cat but when i take that out the pipe is going to be shorter...so i guess i have to by extra piping? And i can clamp everything together..i dont have to weld?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

NY is getting ever more persistent in the enforcement of inspection standards. The person that will pass you without a cat is putting quite a bit on the line to do so (large $$$ fines and potential jail time). In fact, local and state police are now looking for violations as well. If you get pulled over for a noise violation (which you probably will if your local laws are anything like they are around me), they can and mostlikely will look underneith... At which time both you and the shop who inspected your vehicle can be cited.

But again, that is up to you. I like to give all of the facts up front so you are well informed. If it were me and I really wanted it to be louder, I'd cut the stock muffler out and either toss in a straight pipe there or put in a glass pack.

And yeah, you can clamp things. I prefer welding, but I realize that not everyone has access to such tools and/or equipment.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 PM

no i apprecitae you being upfront with me..but now if i cut the cat and tthe muffller out wont the pipes be shorter...wont i have to get extensions?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM

well to really break it down right now i have a flowmaster 40 on there i like it but i want louder...if i cut out the flowmaster and thrwo a straight pipe there it will be louder then having the flowmaster? and if i just cut the flowmaster out and leave the cat is it legal?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Yes, you will have to replace any of the pipe length that you remove. So in the case of the muffler, you have to get a pipe to fit in that is the same length as the stock muffler with any bends that are necessary to mimic the muffler. That is if you want to re-use the stock tailpipe section.

And yes, a straight pipe will be louder than the flowmaster. And yes, by leaving the cat in, atleast you will be legal in respect to the emissions laws... Local noise ordinances are another story.

A friend of mine removed the muffler on his 5.3L Silverado and it sounds pretty nice. It is loud, but it gets a raspy note to it that I dislike. But that is a v8, v6s sound much different without a noise cancelling muffler.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM

ok great im going to go fourth and do that then ill cut the flowmaster out and leave the cat...and hopefully it will sound louder then with the flowmaster

Quick Reply: straight pipe